Favourite Wedges...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Happy Stacker

Jan 6, 2018
SW Ontario, Canada
20180219_151929.jpg The only wedge I have ever bought is this grenade style one. It has split open everything I have ever thrown at it with less effort than a regular triangle shape one. I don't actually own any regular ones, I have always used railway spikes that I find on the old abandoned spur line out back of the property. 20180219_153121.jpg

I have a couple of those grenade wedges and they've been fantastic. I have a couple of regular wedges too but they kept popping out. Now the only time I use them is to widen an ornery split when the two grenades are already fully embedded.

I have the grenade also and agree that it is superior to the standard steel triangle wedge. Wonder if anyone here has ever used one the the high end wedges you see online e.g. gransfor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
I have a couple of those grenade wedges and they've been fantastic. I have a couple of regular wedges too but they kept popping out. Now the only time I use them is to widen an ornery split when the two grenades are already fully embedded.
For standard wedges make a small plunge cut 2-3 in's deep...they won't pop out.

View attachment 223333 The only wedge I have ever bought is this grenade style one. It has split open everything I have ever thrown at it with less effort than a regular triangle shape one. I don't actually own any regular ones, I have always used railway spikes that I find on the old abandoned spur line out back of the property. View attachment 223332

My grenade wedge is deaply embedded in a log at the bottom of my pile of wood... hopefully I will be able to find it back, take it out and stack those log this spring

I would have to disagree with everybody. I’ve never had any luck with a grenade wedge. However, my favorite wedge is the one I never have to use!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hate using wedges, and don't bring them out to the wood pile with me. If I go back for them, it's time to grab a beer or three too.

Reactions: VirginiaIron
For standard wedges make a small plunge cut 2-3 in's deep...they won't pop out.
Yeah, that makes sense, but it's an extra step and I usually don't have my saw around when I'm splitting anyway. I guess I could make a plunge cut when I'm bucking but I don't necessarily know which rounds are going to need a wedge until I try splitting them. It's a lot easier to just use grenade wedges!

Yeah, that makes sense, but it's an extra step and I usually don't have my saw around when I'm splitting anyway. I guess I could make a plunge cut when I'm bucking but I don't necessarily know which rounds are going to need a wedge until I try splitting them. It's a lot easier to just use grenade wedges!
Back when I split mostly by hand...that hurts thinking about it...lol...I was cutting a lot of mature oak...after they were bucked I would immediately plunge cut them and then grab a sledge or maul to wrap up...got pretty good at. I hated grenade wedges as I had more trouble with them vs standard wedges..matters not now as I don't use either.

Reactions: saewoody
When I had wood that required a wedge I knew it was time to get a splitter. Now I would have to look hard to find my wedges.

Reactions: Tar12
My favorite wedge is the one on the end of my 22 ton splitter.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tar12 and saewoody