FB ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ValleyCottageSplitter

Feeling the Heat
Dec 11, 2016
Rockland Co, NY
This guy had a half cord of fresh hickory but it was taken when I messaged him. He says there is some other 2 cords by his neighbors. I think I know what it is but hoping you guys can take a guess first. It might be multiple.

It's probably 45min out of the way so I'm trying to decide if it's worth it.

Thanks.

Attachments

• FB ID
    received_387842215086276.jpeg
    370.8 KB · Views: 212
  • FB ID
    received_1972912956109630.jpeg
    398.1 KB · Views: 208
  • FB ID
    received_230195914520787.jpeg
    375.3 KB · Views: 198
Last edited:
Pic 1 & 3 are Hickory....i should know , just processed a bunch..

Pic 1 & 3 are Hickory....i should know , just processed a bunch..
You are thinking pignut or something? I was thinking about that too. I would go for hickory. Ash I'm 50/50 about, elm or gum I will be driving the opposite direction as quickly as possible! There is also a big red oak unsplit about 15min away. That would also add about 30min. Not sure if that is worth the drying time. I have limited space left.

It was closer than I thought so I dropped by during lunch. I cracked (or rather, mashed) three logs. They were pretty miserable to split. At least two of them were definitely elm. Somewhat soft, smelled like sewer, stringy and a pain to split. One could have been pignut or something. Also not very easy to split. There were a mix of huge 30" dia rounds and a bunch of 12" dia rounds kind of knotty or too short. Some already had mold.

It would have been impossible to sort out the good from bad so I decided to ditch it.

He may be taking down a beech. Hopefully he'll contact me if anything good comes down. He was a burner as well with a buck insert but says his stash was full.