1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Federal Airtight insert...not in a masonry fireplace?

Post in 'Classic Wood Stove Forums (prior to approx. 1993)' started by eclecticcottage, Jan 25, 2014.

1. eclecticcottage

eclecticcottage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    WNY
    dog7.JPG

Curious about this install, not familiar with these inserts. This is not a masonry fireplace, there's just joists below it in the basement and an stainless 8" flue exiting the roof. Is this an ok install? (this is not in the Cottage)
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2014

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. DAKSY

DAKSY Patriot Guard Rider Staff Member

Loc:
    Averill Park, NY, on Burden Lake II...
    Sure doesn't look right. That looks like a stove that somebody took the legs off of. If its not Class A or a masonry chimney, it's not to code & not safe.
  3. eclecticcottage

Loc:
    WNY
    It is an insert, at least I'm 99% sure it is. I've found a few similar ones on the ole interweb. The surround fits it perfectly. However...I was under the impression that as an insert rather than a ZC fireplace it would have to be installed in a masonry fireplace. And it seems you agree.

It is not in use at the moment and as far as I know, the owner have no plans to use it either, but I know it WAS used as it is, and from my understanding, as a pretty regular suppliment to the forced air. It just stuck out to me as having "WRONG" written all over it.
  4. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    From the posting in the main hearth forum I gather that this stove could be installed as an insert or freestanding back in the day. If the stove is in good working condition, connected to a liner and the chimney clean, then yes it should be ok.
  5. eclecticcottage

Loc:
    WNY
    It's probably single or double wall...it looks like someone enclosed a stove/insert, like you would with a ZC fireplace...
  6. eclecticcottage

Loc:
    WNY
    I found out what was behind the wall....I looked at one corner today and wondered...what is that 2x4 there for? And then I realized someone took the trim off...this is what is behind the faux stone...That pipe is HUGE. WAY bigger than the 8" flue that comes out of the roof. WTH is going on with that??

Attached Files: