Feed rate for 10-CPM - cost/comfort

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ghandy131

Oct 14, 2011
Central MA
I'm trying to figure out the cost of heating with a super premium (Turman) vs a premium (GS). Understanding that the GS will not produce sufficient heat for the coldest days and the Turmans will be necessary, for the shoulders I believe the feed rate determination will be essential to determining the most cost efficient approach. Assuming the bottom 3 buttons are set on 1-4-1 does anyone know what the feed rate in lbs/minute is for the varying heat settings 1 - 9? I have noted that the Turmans will put out more heat at each settings than the GS, which leads me to believe that I may have been looking at false savings by just looking at the cost/ton. But to understand the ratio of feed rates/costs will enable me to evaluate the cost/comfort. Just another question, does the first bottom button increase the auger turn rate and does the middle button increase the volume of exhaust air passing through the chamber?

Not sure of the lbs/minute but I'm curious also. This, of course, will be a somewhat arbitrary number due to various pellet sizes, etc.. As far as the bottom buttons, LBF (bottom left) adjusts fuel feed rate and LBA (bottom middle) adjusts combustion air. I manage most of the time with the 1-4-1 settings but will bump up to 3-5-1 sometimes when cold. The LBA adjustment is particularly helpful with different quality fuels.

As jrsdws mentions, while you're burning the GS (aka NEWP), I'd bump your lower settings to the 3-5-1 he uses, or even higher. For the poorer shoulder pellets I use (CleanFire aka NEWP), I even go higher....4-5-1 or 5-6-1.

Yes, it uses more pellets, but that seems to be the only way to get decent heat out of them.

Thanks for the responses. Can I adjust the bottom buttons while the stove is running?

Status
Not open for further replies.