1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Feeding multiple stoves

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Joful, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia
    No, I wasn't aware there's anything real affordable like that, so I'd be very interested in this for my own house! I've seen a few true divided light double-pane windows, and in fact have one for my back door and side lights, but those seem to be more expensive than rebuilding the old. Most of what I see people putting in old houses is single-light double-hungs with oddly-reflective low-E glass and a false grid. They just don't look quite right on an old house, even from a distance.

Ah... different situation, entirely! There's an outfit I've dealt with in New England that still makes traditional windows, on antique machinery. All thru-mortised sashes, glazed panes with cope-and-stick mullions, rope counterweights, you name it. Very nice stuff, and they were covered by Roy Underhill's show on PBS, maybe 10 years ago. I have their info somewhere... will try to dig it up!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. HollowHill

HollowHill Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central NY
    Thanks, Joful. I'd really appreciate it!
  3. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia
    I think that may have been the one episode of Roy Underhill's show, where he did not cut himself and/or bleed.
  4. jharkin

jharkin Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Holliston, MA USA

I have a couple of those replacement divided light double panes in one room, instapped by the previous owner. They only look even remotely "identical" from the street. Up close its painfully obvious they are not original, the frames are too thick in some places and two thin in others, the mutin profiles dont match the rest of the trim, the beautifully detailed deep casings and sill where replaced with flat builder stock, the glass is too perfect, the vinyl tracks and cheap plastic hardware are a dead giveaway.

The old growth wood the originals are made of will outlive me and the glazing can be reputtied every 20-30 years as necessary. The replacement will blow a seal, or rot in probably 15-20 years and have to be replaced yet again, negating any cost savings on fuel.

Old leaky storm windows can be replaced with high quality modern units - either custom made wood windows or good units from Allied, Larson or Harvey and get 80% of the performance for 20% of the cost of full replacements.

Joful, I cannot reccomend enough reading John Leeke's book on windows and the National Parks Service restorations standards. This material - especially Leeke's book - is worth its weight in gold.
    http://www.historichomeworks.com/hhw/reports/reports.htm#Windows
    http://www.nps.gov/hps/tps/standguide/overview/overview_windows.htm

Disclaimer - Yes I am a purist and not afraid to say so. Far to many historic homes being ruined by window salesmen :(
    Joful likes this.
  5. FPX Dude

FPX Dude Member

Loc:
    Sacramento, CA
    Sounds like you got some energy efficiencies to look at...you may be heating the outdoors??
  6. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    If the storms are sealing well this is most likely not the source of the drafts. A blower door test on the house would be the fastest way to pinpoint these leaks.
  7. BrowningBAR

BrowningBAR Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Doylestown, PA
    The leaks are:
    • The storm windows
    • The windows
    • Window frames
    • Doors
    • Door frames
    • Attic
    • Foundation
    • Crawl space
    • Walls
    dafattkidd, Joful and HollowHill like this.
  8. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia
    :lol