1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Feeling Guilty

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by fox9988, Jun 9, 2013.

1. fox9988

fox9988 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Arkansas
    Anyone else feel guilty for dumping their old faithful pre-epa? Like dumping a good faithful wife of 30 years for a new hot chick? Truth be told, I'm liking the trophy stove:p

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. fox9988

fox9988 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Arkansas
    Title edit?
  3. Adios Pantalones

Adios Pantalones Minister of Fire

Loc:
    S.NH- Mass's smoking section
    Repurpose for heating a greenhouse/pizza oven/hot tub
  4. PapaDave

PapaDave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern MI - in the mitten
    I've thought quite a bit about selling the old when I get the new one.
    The other option would be to put it in the shop, and take out the HE gas furnace that's in there.
  5. fox9988

fox9988 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Arkansas
    Thanks for the edit.
    I already sold the Sierra, knowing I'd one day regret it. I didn't have a good place to store it. Building a shop on a piece of property I closed on today, it would have done an excellent job of heating it for the next century, requiring only new gaskets every 4-5 years. Big honking 5/16 plate steel stove::P Oh well. Got $650 for it on CL, probably twice what its worth.
  6. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    That is like going from a 78 Suburban to a Civic. The Keystone is a great heater but there's a major difference between a 4.7 and 1.5 cu ft stove. Were their major changes made to reduce the heat loss of the house?
  7. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    We toyed with the idea of using our old stove for making a boiler for maple syrup. We did use it just to burn trash for a while until some lucky guy came along. He is not the not-so-proud owner of that beast.
  8. fox9988

fox9988 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Arkansas
    Very major changes: Built a new house==c Not saying the old stove could make more heat than the new, that was the problem. The old stove heated the old house fine for decades. The new house is much too tight and insulated for a large pre-epa. It was shut down and smoking/creosoting or cooking us out. Very happy with the Keystone, perfect size for nice clean 12 hr burns in my house/climate. Just feeling a little guilty for dumping the old broad, she had been good to me;em
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  9. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    I hear ya. BB still has his old Sierra, filed under "smoker".
    fox9988 likes this.
  10. bag of hammers

bag of hammers Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern ON
    Some great suggestions here to re-use a stove. I'd even wrap a huge outdoor sauna around a stove like that. Tack together a top shelf / tray fill it with the round rock from Lake Superior shoreline - one fire / load in that beast ==> 200 deg + for my Finnish friends...:)
    fox9988 likes this.