Felling a Tree Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tpm1952

Aug 3, 2010
Mid Michigan
I have a maple that is about 1.5 feet wide at the base that I need to take down. The tree is leaning slightly to the east when looking at it. The problem is I need to drop it directly west (house is within the path if it goes the way its leaning slightly (east). Would you think a normal notch would bring this thing down in the direction I need it to go ?

Thanks for any advice .... Tom

If there is risk of damage to your house I suggest you hire an insured tree service to do it and be happy to pay them. In case of mistake it will be on their dime. (And if you cultivate a relationship you will soon have them dumping wood in your yard.)

I agree. Too much risk. Would you hire a professional if they asked that very same question? Good luck.....

If there is risk of damage to your house I suggest you hire an insured tree service to do it and be happy to pay them. In case of mistake it will be on their dime. (And if you cultivate a relationship you will soon have them dumping wood in your yard.)

If this was in the woods I would recommend you use your felling sights and then some wedges, but like Paul said get a tree service. You dont need to endanger your home.

I put a line in almost every large tree I fell nowadays.

L-Launcher-complete-web.jpg

(Not my rig, but something like that)
I use a pulley set or a come-a-long to bend the tree my way.
The notch/hinge still aims the fall, but the line guarantees that it falls in the right direction.
Give yourself an extra time to set up before you start the notch.

Remember...when things go wrong in this situation; they will do so quickly and badly. Build in redundant safety. Don't rush.

If the tree is not unusually rotted or damaged; you can do it.

Reactions: Ashful and chvymn99
I like that set up.

I put a line in almost every large tree I fell nowadays.

L-Launcher-complete-web.jpg

(Not my rig, but something like that)
I use a pulley set or a come-a-long to bend the tree my way.
The notch/hinge still aims the fall, but the line guarantees that it falls in the right direction.
Give yourself an extra time to set up before you start the notch.

Remember...when things go wrong in this situation; they will do so quickly and badly. Build in redundant safety. Don't rush.

If the tree is not unusually rotted or damaged; you can do it.

It is definitely worth the expense of a pro. Insurance might give you a hassle if you drop the tree on your own house. Sometimes, you just have to hire out the job.

For me, if there's any hint of question as to where it will fall, I rope it before cutting. If I'm still not sure, then I call in a pro.

For your tree, I have no idea what I'd do until I see it in person.

For you, I have no idea of your experience level and skill.

And to get back to your original question, no, a notch will not correct for a lean. The notch is there so that as the tree goes over it will fall off the stump and not ride on it and come back at you. It also allows the hinge to stay intact long enough to control the fall. If the weight is on the wrong side you cannot change it. If it is leaning backwards it will pinch on your backcut and then you will really have problems. To get the tree down it will need help to make it fall in the other direction.

Reactions: Ashful
Also, a rope will not always correct for lean either. I just tried to pull a dead oak uphill using a rope and it simply would not go in that direction.

Reactions: TreePointer
Bigger rope, bigger tractor!
Yep.
Not sure I can describe it here, but my neighbor and I pulled a large, blow down oak backwards from about a 30-40 degree lean. (It was hung up on another tree). We worked our way up to a pair of ship's double pulleys. By hand; no tractor. Physics...amazing stuff.

More recently, I've been placing a steel cable (wire rope) as the first line, then my double block pulleys after the snatch block. This way, if there's a hang up, I can switch to a come-a-long directly on the steel and crank it good and hard. Of course, this takes up a fair amount of room, but less risk of trouble.

I have a maple that is about 1.5 feet wide at the base that I need to take down. The tree is leaning slightly to the east when looking at it. The problem is I need to drop it directly west (house is within the path if it goes the way its leaning slightly (east). Would you think a normal notch would bring this thing down in the direction I need it to go ?

Thanks for any advice .... Tom

Tom, never depend upon a notch to make a tree change the direction it wants to go. But that is not a large tree and you probably can do it just fine but you do need a solid rope or cable or chain, etc.

I'll send you a new Conversation.

Reactions: chvymn99
Status
Not open for further replies.