Fiberglass insulation for above block off plate

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tumm21

Jul 16, 2011
North Jersey
Is it ok to use fiberglass insulation for above my stove insert? Just left the dealer who does installs and he says thats what he uses for above the inserts. He says it does not burn and it is ok. Any input guys?

Roxul is a product that is widely used for this application. I actually have about 6 full batts leftover from when I just insulated my block off plate. Your welcome to have them if ya can pick them up,,if not...Lowes carry's it,,,about 40 bucks.

And it's about 10 times itchier than the pink stuff if you can believe that.

The problem with the pink stuff is that it doesn't stop airflow. Ever wonder why it has to have facing on it in the walls of a house? You got it. To stop airflow. And it sags and doesn't handle moisture worth a damn.

You are better off wadding up aluminum foil and stuffing it into the flue tile than using fiberglass. Or buying the Roxul and doing it right. It is a pain in the butt to redo the job. Do it right the first and only time.

Hey BB, just asking becasue I never thought about the airflow. How/does roxul bats stop the airflow? I'm gonna re-do mine and thought I'd ask for your .02...thanks in advance.

It's a lot denser, but I would also use a block-off plate

+1 on all of the above.

Status
Not open for further replies.