1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Fiberglass/Poly roofing panels

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by babalu87, Oct 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. babalu87

babalu87 New Member

Loc:
    middleborough, ma.
    I am going to use these for a wood shed. Can I get away with 24" spacing on the roof rafters in Southeastern Massachusetts?
    For a 30 psf, it calls for a max span of 30" so I would assume that 24" would be over spec?

I have never worked with the corrugated panels and Lowes is no help.
    I wish I could find them somewhere else local...............

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. nshif

nshif New Member

Loc:
    Pioneer, Ca (near Lake Tahoe)
    Just put some 2x4 perlins between the rafters (perpendicular) to the rafters 24 oc. If 30 lb snow load is enuf, wouldnt be here If I dont build to at least 40 the 1st good snow is gonna bring it down without some center support
  3. Gooserider

Gooserider Mod Emeritus

Loc:
    Northeastern MA (near Lowell)
    You need to have support under the panels, such that the grooves run up and down, and the support runs across. If your rafters run crossways you may be OK, if they run vertically I'd but some 1x3 or 4 strapping every 16" or so. On my own shed, I have 3 rafters running cross ways on an 8' span, which would NOT be enough by themselves, but I also had a bunch of trash picked PT decking boards that I put diagonally across the rafters (to maximize the coverage per board length) with about a boards worth of space between each one, and that gives me (barely) enough support that it hasn't collapsed yet...

Gooserider
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.