Fiberglass vs. foam board insulation near a chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuck-OH

Dec 24, 2008
Ohio
I'm replacing an old paneled wall that surrounds the original masonry fireplace. Took down the paneling, found 1950's fiberglass batts falling apart behind the paneling, and removed it all. Now need to re-insulate before drywalling.

I'd rather use polyurethane foam board, but am wondering if can be placed above the hearth area. The bays are made of 2x4 stud sides, and at the back, are made of some type of hardboard (not plywood), and behind that must be the masonry wall of the chimney. The chimney is an exterior one, and I'm assuming since the hardboard was placed there originally, that area does not get hot. Would it then make sense that polyurethane is okay to go in there?

The old paneling had been there 60 years, and did not look discolored above the hearth, though I don't know how often wood was burned in the fireplace. At present, there's a gas insert there, with a stainless steel liner, so the heat is much less. I'm just worried that if someday someone converted it back to wood, and fired it up, would the polyurethane melt/smell etc.

Does this sound right to anyone?

Thanks.

Definitely agree with above, fiberglass is hard to ignite, foam burns with poisonous fumes.

You could also use a mineral wool insulation. It is rated for 2150 degrees. Not shure what the price diff. is between fiberglass and the wool but just an idea.

oconnor said:
Chimney needs an airspace around it - latest codes ask for 2 inches for solid fuels.

Don't fill the space at all is my recommendation.

Add one vote to the above...DO NOT put anything into that air space...

Status
Not open for further replies.