Fiberglass Wrap to Seal Stove Pipe Connections

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ColdNorCal

Feeling the Heat
Mar 6, 2018
Newcastle, Ca.
Interested in thoughts about using a muffler type fiberglass wrap to seal stove pipe connections. Primarily stove pipe to stove pipe collar and flex liner adapter to stove pipe. The connections can be wrapped then secured with stainless steel zip ties. I have read about sealing these connections not being a primary concern. However, I would like to seal them and use something that is long term, unlike furnace cement.

The only downside I see is if the fiberglass fibers are disturbed and become air-born. Their are high temp silicone spray paints to secure them although the price point increases for just sealing one or two connections.

Examples:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KVYH66U/?tag=hearthamazon-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000MY3ML8/?tag=hearthamazon-20

Why do you feel it necessary to seal the joints?

I would not use anything that’s not made for the purpose intended. Perhaps using some low diameter rope gasket from wood stove shop, if the gaps allow. Work in gently with flathead screwdriver.

Why do you feel it necessary to seal the joints?

I know that it could be sealed better. We spend money on energy efficient appliances, windows, insulated doors, walls, attics, calking all cracks... It just makes sense to me to seal this up as best as possible also.

I would not use anything that’s not made for the purpose intended. Perhaps using some low diameter rope gasket from wood stove shop, if the gaps allow. Work in gently with flathead screwdriver.

I thought about using some stove rope, wrapping it where the pipe goes into the stove collar, and putting a clamp over it or using ss zip ties.

Their should be no reason to Jerry rig a seal for connections other than the manufacturer recommendations. If the connections are that loose it's time for new or better pipe.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Try some welded seam 22 gauge pipe or quality double wall pipe. It seals up very well. And it looks good!

Their should be no reason to Jerry rig a seal for connections other than the manufacturer recommendations. If the connections are that loose it's time for new or better pipe.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

"loose"? Fake News lol Read post 4.

Try some welded seam 22 gauge pipe or quality double wall pipe. It seals up very well. And it looks good!

No room for double wall. Using an adjustable 90 at about 75 degrees. Wont find that in a welded Elbow.

Door glass seal and a large stainless adjustable hose clamp works. I happened to give my connector pipe to stove collar a look at night with all the lights off. I was surprised to see it was not perfectly sealed. I could see orange light in 2 spots. I am using heavy welded single wall also.

No room for double wall. Using an adjustable 90 at about 75 degrees. Wont find that in a welded Elbow.
Wow, sounds like a funky setup.

Post a pic of your setup for us.

Door glass seal and a large stainless adjustable hose clamp works. I happened to give my connector pipe to stove collar a look at night with all the lights off. I was surprised to see it was not perfectly sealed. I could see orange light in 2 spots. I am using heavy welded single wall also.

No doubt yours is sealed much better then most also.

Called Rutland and they recommended Seal It Right. Latex based and rated at 800 degrees.

https://www.rutland.com/p/107/seal-it-right

No doubt yours is sealed much better then most also.

Called Rutland and they recommended Seal It Right. Latex based and rated at 800 degrees.

https://www.rutland.com/p/107/seal-it-right
800 degrees is nowhere near high enough. Honestly i have never sealed any connections more than putting in some flat gasket when the fit is to loose. Post some pics of the setup so those of us who do this every day can give our input.

800 degrees is nowhere near high enough. Honestly i have never sealed any connections more than putting in some flat gasket when the fit is to loose. Post some pics of the setup so those of us who do this every day can give our input.

Its simply a 6 inch black stove pipe going into a stove collar, nothing more. Many questions about sealing this area have been asked before on this forum. I was just hoping something new was available or I missed a good solution.

Its simply a 6 inch black stove pipe going into a stove collar, nothing more. Many questions about sealing this area have been asked before on this forum. I was just hoping something new was available or I missed a good solution.
The solution has pretty much always been it is unnecessary.

The solution has pretty much always been it is unnecessary.

Yes, yet many prefer to seal everything as best as possible.

I questioned the Rutland rep about 800 degree Seal It Right being adequate for that area and he said yes. However, Bholler, your concern(s) always ring loud with me, in a good way:)

So far its:

- Leave it
- Seal It Right
- Stove Gasket Material clamped (although it may not seal perfect per MoreSnow post. Although it probably can easily be readjusted for 100% seal)
- Furnace Cement

Yes, yet many prefer to seal everything as best as possible.

I questioned the Rutland rep about 800 degree Seal It Right being adequate for that area and he said yes. However, Bholler, your concern(s) always ring loud with me, in a good way:)

So far its:

- Leave it
- Seal It Right
- Stove Gasket Material clamped (although it may not seal perfect per MoreSnow post. Although it probably can easily be readjusted for 100% seal)
- Furnace Cement
If you are that concerned about it either have your elbow weled or get a welded elbow made. But honestly the ammout of air lost to the joints in an elbow is so small i would not bother.

I dont care what rutland says 800 is not high enough for the location you want to put it.

Ya I'd like to see your set up also.