1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Finally bought my stove. Need advice on floor protection

Post in 'Classic Wood Stove Forums (prior to approx. 1993)' started by jcrem1187, Nov 22, 2011.

1. jcrem1187

jcrem1187 New Member

Loc:
    Indiana
    I purchased an Avalon 796 stove for my log cabin. I have been going thru the manual checking clearances and have a couple of questions. First off with regards to floor protection the manual states non-combustible material with a minimum thickness of 26 gauge floor protection. What does that mean? I plan to build the hearth and want to be sure I'm meeting all requirements. I had planned on using 3/4 in plywood then 1/4 inch wonderboard topped with porcelain tile. Any suggestions?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. pen

pen There are some who call me...mod. Staff Member

Loc:
    N.E. Penna
    26 gauge would be referring to metal thickness. Wonderboard and tile should be fine if it's only calling for a non-combustible material. Does this manual give you a recommend hearth size (how far it should extend around the stove)?

pen
  3. bmwloco

bmwloco Member

Loc:
    Asheville NC
    I live close enough to a beautiful mountain river full of large flat rocks. One in front of both of my stoves. It protects the floor, stands up to any amount
    of "uh oh" and I like the way it looks. So does Elroy, the house mutt. He goes to sleep with his head on the rock in front of the stove...