Finally brought home my load of Norway Ash

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Razo

Burning Hunk
Jan 8, 2014
NEPA
We already had a great debate on whether this was some type of Ash of Norway Maple in this thread:
Ash or Norway Maple

I don't wish to resurrect that thread since it has since become fairly irrelevant but I will post one last pic relating to its ID.

This is a small twig from one of the upper branches. No dead leaves to go by

upload_2014-4-9_9-8-13.png

Finally got it all bucked up and loaded for home. I'll probably split it up later this week. I'm thinking its a little less than a half cord.

upload_2014-4-9_9-8-46.png

upload_2014-4-9_9-8-55.png

Why do I see billions of leaves on the ground under the newly bucked rounds?

Its an allusion, it was the way the light was hitting the ground, there aren't actually any leaves there.

Haha kidding obviously. There are some birch and oak trees in this area and I swear all I can see are birch and oak leaves, mostly birch. I didn't come across anything that looked like Ash or Maple its strange

I couldn't tell what type of wood it was from the previous thread, but now it looks like Ash.

Where I live there are oaks and lots of other types of trees. The oaks lose their leaves after most other trees, so the oak leaves end up on top. If you look around the woods now all you see is oak leaves.

Reactions: Woody Stover
I think its ash now too. Norway leaves stay around longer than ash. I see some right now under my norways.

Reactions: Brewmonster
Ash.

From the shape and position of the leaf scars in relation to the buds, it looks more like a green ash to me, but the angle of the twig in that picture may be deceiving me. Regardless, it's great firewood. Nice score!

Last edited:
Yup. Ash.

Finally got it unloaded and then got some of it split.

upload_2014-4-11_10-59-22.png

Nice load. I like the truck too ;)

Thanks! Already had wished I had a truck, now that I'm cutting my own wood it was the perfect excuse to get one. Came across a '91 F-350 and I just couldn't pass it up. Had everything I wanted, 351W, Solid Dana 60 front axle, manual locking hubs.

upload_2014-4-11_11-0-36.png

Awesome woodhaluer. I haul all my wood with a '94 Bronco. I wouldnt mind a 250 or 350 though >>

Thanks, its more than enough for what I use it for. Needed some small stuff done like a new oil pan gasket, threw a new oil pump in while I was there. Also rebuilt the front kingpins, u-joints, and wheel bearings too. Only thing that really NEEDED to be replaced was the u-joints, I just like working on it, its one of my sicknesses.

Reactions: D8Chumley
Great wood hauler. Ash for sure.

This might be a good time to practice on the splitting. Try making some square or rectangular pieces when splitting. Those work great when stacking the ends and also are great for packing the stove when you want long burn times.

Wood-2012c.JPG

Reactions: jaychino415
Ash.

From the shape and position of the leaf scars in relation to the buds, it looks more like a green ash to me.
I've never seen any Green, but the bark and the sawed end sure doesn't look like the White I see. I need to get more familiar with the twigs on the different species....nice to have another tool in the bag.

This might be a good time to practice on the splitting. Try making some square or rectangular pieces when splitting. Those work great when stacking the ends and also are great for packing the stove when you want long burn times.

I agree, your stacks are drool worthy, I wanted to make cribbed stacks for the ends but ended up just pounding re-bar into the ground.

I managed to get another Ash tree over the weekend. I now have tons of rounds at the house. I need to put more cribbing down to stack on get busy splitting! Some of these are bit much for my maul so I'm going to have to start trying out the wedge. I have a standard one and one of the "grenade" style wedges. Anyone ever used one those?

upload_2014-4-14_10-4-28.png

upload_2014-4-14_10-4-38.png

upload_2014-4-14_10-4-48.png

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Have a little over cord and still have the biggest diameter rounds to go. I think I'll end up with a little over 1.5 cords when its all said and done.

upload_2014-4-18_10-38-44.png

Thanks Applesister

Have a little over cord and still have the biggest diameter rounds to go. I think I'll end up with a little over 1.5 cords when its all said and done.
Nice haul! :cool: When it's all said and done, there's nothing left to do or say. ==c
Razo this has been a very interesting thread. Thanks for the great pics!
Interesting, for sure. We get a lot of responses, "That's Ash." Fine, but what kind? Big difference between White and the others, in the stove. As far as the "great pics" comment; It's nice to be nice, but at what point does it cross over into being an outright lie?? ;) Phone pics, the scourge of internet tree ID. ;lol

Reactions: TreePointer
Nice haul! :cool: When it's all said and done, there's nothing left to do or say. ==c
Interesting, for sure. We get a lot of responses, "That's Ash." Fine, but what kind? Big difference between White and the others, in the stove. As far as the "great pics" comment; It's nice to be nice, but at what point does it cross over into being an outright lie?? ;) Phone pics, the scourge of internet tree ID. ;lol
I'm not sure I'm trackin with ya Woody??
As they say in Mexico, "Did you eat the worm last night?"
Once again,
Razo thanks for a great thread and great follow up pics. ;-)

This is an ash tree that I am in the process of scrounging. Did it look like this? 20140412_160731.jpg

I agree, your stacks are drool worthy, I wanted to make cribbed stacks for the ends but ended up just pounding re-bar into the ground.

I managed to get another Ash tree over the weekend. I now have tons of rounds at the house. I need to put more cribbing down to stack on get busy splitting! Some of these are bit much for my maul so I'm going to have to start trying out the wedge. I have a standard one and one of the "grenade" style wedges. Anyone ever used one those?

Thanks Razo. I got to use one of the grenades once or twice. It worked but I still prefered regular steel wedges. However, those ash should split easily with a splitting maul or even an axe. I remember one winter after an injury and surgery when I actually sat on one log and using a sledge and wedge, split a bunch of ash. I did it by just tapping with the sledge. I could not swing it or hit it hard but over time the job got done. I was really pleased to actually be doing it that winter but don't really want to do it again. lol

:p

"That's Ash." Fine, but what kind? Big difference between White and the others, in the stove. As far as the "great pics" comment; It's nice to be nice, but at what point does it cross over into being an outright lie?? ;) Phone pics, the scourge of internet tree ID.

Hey now haha. I had a mix of pics in this thread, some where taken with my phone but others, like the close up of the branch were taken with my Nikon DSLR. I try to use that whenever possible for better quality pics.

This is an ash tree that I am in the process of scrounging. Did it look like this?
Yea it looked like that, well both of them actually, very nice wood.

Thanks Razo. I got to use one of the grenades once or twice. It worked but I still prefered regular steel wedges. However, those ash should split easily with a splitting maul or even an axe. I remember one winter after an injury and surgery when I actually sat on one log and using a sledge and wedge, split a bunch of ash. I did it by just tapping with the sledge. I could not swing it or hit it hard but over time the job got done. I was really pleased to actually be doing it that winter but don't really want to do it again. lol
Thanks for the input, I have been using the wedge and sledge to get the rounds in half, then I go to town with the 8lb maul. I only ever got the grenade to split a round into 3 pieces once, but I don't expect that from it anway, I just use it like any other wedge and it works fine.

Thats norway maple.................Just kidding.
upload_2014-4-22_12-17-43.png

Status
Not open for further replies.