Finally got the pine done

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PapaDave

Minister of Fire
Feb 23, 2008
Northern MI - in the mitten
Big white pine has been down in the side yard almost a year. I got about 1/2 done last fall, but unable to finish.
So, when did I decide to do this? During the hottest part of the year,.. so far. DOH! All the water I drank ended up on my shirt and pants. No, I didn't spill it.
Just need to get it stacked.
The branches in the foreground will probably end up in the firepit.
IMG_5347.JPG
These are some slabs (very small sample) from about 4 years ago. VERY dry. Going in the shed as soon as it gets split.
IMG_5348.JPG
This stuff just didn't want to split, so it'll go to the firepit stack.
IMG_5349.JPG

Reactions: ScotO
Nice work PapaDave, when I split our White Pine it split like chit.

zap

Hey Dave, it must have been pretty good today. We had a high of 68 degrees and a few sprinkles. A fellow east of us said he got 1.5" of rain today. Ours wasn't even measurable.

Nice to catch up on the projects that are constantly talking to you.
Good to get them out of the way.
That is some gnarly "chunks" of wood. :)

same here papdave -

been tackling a huge pile of white pine. i'm almost down to the big trunks on the bottom. some of them are 30" across. when the excavator piled them up alot of stones were picked up with them so i have to SWEEP all around them so i don't ding up my chain. couple that with the heat and deer flies and man its been a rough few weeks! come fall i'll break out the splitter and get as much of it done as i can before winter. its probably gonna end up being about 5 or more cords all together. its a royal pain in the arse but i may as well burn it. there is also a big pile of branches that i'm gonna burn or chip.

i'll post pics soon.

OT

Nice work, Dave. It'll come in real handy !!

"some of them are 30" across"
Same for this tree at the base and up about 12'.
Dixie, looks like about 1/2 cord from this tree, and another one across the road yet to do.

Cool. I love pine, really do.

Got 3 coming down before Labor Day, ready to burn by December.... love it !!!

Got the large-ish portion of this stacked today.......10 minutes at a time.!!! It's 92 right now, and a bit humid.
The rest is from a couple shorter rounds--maybe 12".
If the heat will let up (supposed to later in the week), I'll buck up some more and get it stacked. I've got some poplar logs all set to put under as sleepers. More spruce and pine. Nice shoulder wood.

Looking good, Dave! Nice load of shoulder season wood, for sure! Those pieces that gave you grief, probably lots of knots in 'em, eh? They'll make some good cracklin' campfires!

Status
Not open for further replies.