Finally got the wood at the farm split

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowboy Billy

Minister of Fire
Dec 10, 2008
Britton MI
I have been wanting to build a splitter for the farm but I have too many other projects going right now. So I borrowed my friends splitter and got to work. I still don't know how much wood I have but it took me two days to split it in the heat and I had to take a lot of cool down breaks. But I ended up with a single 6' high 40' long row in the barn and probably that much left outside on the ground.

I know the barn not the best place to stack it for it to finish drying but its been raining for the last week and it was either stack it in the barn or leave it unstacked. We got 6+ inches of rain in 24 hrs on Sept 2nd and it rained every day since. The wood is black because thats the wood that was sitting in water and I just took the loader and scooped it up and brought it inside and stacked it up it was a mess with me having to get in the mud to get at it and scooping up mud with the wood. But at least its on the south side of the barn and the sun heats the tin up pretty good so I hope that will help dry it out.

59059_1313658656502_1681757389_603633_4130934_n.jpg

Here's what is left outside. Its mostly red maple and birch with some poplar. The pile in the back is tamarack and I am going to pile that separately for when I need a hot fire! And I brought the trailer load of unsplit birch home with me.

59059_1313658616501_1681757389_603632_7963590_n.jpg

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Billy

Nice work Billy, let's give some of that equipment a rest. I think we have received your rain the last three days. :coolgrin:

zap

Thanks Zap

I think I am going to stay home for a week or two and get things cleaned up around here. But if the heat and humidity go back up I'm out of here! Hope you didn't get the heavy rains we did.

Billy

When I first started reading your post, I was going to say you're nuts. Hasn't rained in Milan in weeks. Then I saw your pics, and it all came together for me. That ain't Lenawee County.

Cool Jeff

You're right its the SE UP. I was surprised when I got home after 2 1/2 weeks up north and looked at the lawn and it doesn't need to be cut. It sure is dry down here!

Billy

Nice barn, and your talking about rain? It rained here today for the first time in over 5 weeks. The temp is 61 out now and its supposed to rain later today or night. It will make working in the woods more like fall huh? :lol:

Shipper

Ya got that right Shipper

Now that ya got a little moisture its time for a big bonfire!!!

Billy

Status
Not open for further replies.