Finally got to process the downed pine tree

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

EPS

Burning Hunk
Jun 5, 2015
NH
A bad windstorm uprooted a giant pine tree and dropped it across our property in October. I took the tree service's estimate to have it cut into 16" length logs and left where it lies so I could split it up into usable firewood by next winter. They came by in April and cut it up alright, but the smallest one measured over 20"--totally useless to me. They came back this week and, instead of just halving the logs, cut them down to 16" each, leaving us with at least two dozen circles of pinewood.

Looks like Christmas will find a lot of wood-burned artwork and cutting boards under our friends and family's trees.

johnschainsaw.jpg pinetreebutter.jpg woodpiles.jpg woodpilesb.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't mean to leave a thousand of each image in all shapes and sizes

I don't think pine is a good choice for cutting boards.....you want a tight grained hardwood for cutting boards (to keep bacteria out of the wood)

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I'm not actually planning on giving them away as cutting boards. It was just a way of indicating that I have more 2 inch pine circles than I know what to do with.

Reactions: TedyOH
You can throw those “cookies” right into the stove as is. I do it all the time when I have unsplitable knots and crotches to deal with.

Reactions: gastone21 and EPS
My wife has already earmarked the biggest "cookies" to make tables with, but the rest will be good shoulder season stuff come next March and April