Finally installed fresh air kit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

lefty Ef3

Nov 26, 2018
New Jersey 08079
I have had this envirofire EF 3 stove since 1996 it’s been installed in 2 different homes and I finally installed the fak kit ..now we will see how the stove performs.not that it has performed badly,the only thing that drives me crazy is the dirty glass she will stay clean for maybe 4 hrs tops..I even placed a piece of channel iron between the door and the burn pot to try and deflect it away from the door,it made a little bit of difference..last year I picked up a old p38+ for 100 bucks and resurrected her,had two broken stabs on the control board I was impressed by how well built this p38 is..now this is a bottom of the line manual start Harmon stove ..I have burned maybe 8 bags thru it (it’s in my garage) the glass is still just as clean as the first bag I put thru it,go figure. I will post updates on how the ef3 performs..My next project it upgrading the control board on the P38 it’s time for the 2 control knobs to go. The stove is a little stubborn to get started but once she’s up and going it puts out some good heat

I have a P38+. My starting sequence : starting gel, cup of pellets, turn on stove , put most of the pellets in the burn pot, add gel and mix, add the rest of the pellets, more gel mix, light, leave door open about and inch, when good amount of pellets lit and glowing close the door and you are off, or just use a hand torch..Takes practice, you'll get it.. And the 3 knob board is a great upgrade

I have a P38+. My starting sequence : starting gel, cup of pellets, turn on stove , put most of the pellets in the burn pot, add gel and mix, add the rest of the pellets, more gel mix, light, leave door open about and inch, when good amount of pellets lit and glowing close the door and you are off, or just use a hand torch..Takes practice, you'll get it.. And the 3 knob board is a great upgrade
yeah I have done that also,my favorite way is to use those cardboard like fire starters look like waffles about 1 inche squares lay one on top of the pellets hit with the torch leave the door open just a little bit and let go about 4 or 5 minutes then latch the door and let her go it usually works better if I turn the feed up to turbo after I latch the door..thankyou for the reply ..I just priced a new igniter for my enviro fire I think it’s starting to get weak and it is from 1996 ...holy crap 190 bucks,nothing is cheap anymore

Don't waste your money on starting gel, hand sanitizer works just as good, costs less, and prevents your stove from getting Covid...

I discovered by accident a little 'trick' if you will and that is. I take a large jar (I use an empty peanut filled bite sized pretzel container) (I like them btw), and fill the jar with pellets and then add about a cup of liquid firestarter (for charcoal BBQ's) to the pellets and close the lid. The firestarter soaks into all the pellets in the jar (they get darker as it soaks in) and then I take a handful of the firestarter soaked pellets and charge the burn pot and light them and when the pellets are burning, close the door and start my unit.

With the pellets soaked with firestarter, no issue getting them to burn and no goopy firestarter needed either. Just a quick light and she's off to the races.

Reactions: lefty Ef3
I have burnt about a half of bag so far since the fresh air install the glass is a little cleaner than usual.the fire seems to burn more to the right side of the pot now.right now it’s only been around 40 degrees outside so we will see when it gets colder out side.

Mine always burns lopsided. I ignore it. Depends on how the fuel drops into the pot.

I might add that the liquid fire starter is much cheaper than the gelled stuff or even hand sanitizer. I've used hand sanitizer in the past. It don't light quite as well as the gelled stuff or the liquid.

We find it best to place the pellets in the burn pot, about a cup as you say ... add some start gel or a starter brickette, light it ... let it burn for a couple, maybe even three minutes ... then turn on the stove on lowest setting ... and then shut the door. After the fire is well established, then we adjust it up if needed ... but she puts out good on low.

Tried liquid starter, it runs down through the pellets, into auger opening, even once through holes in burn pot. We use gel now almost always, it stays put. Just our experience. The brickettes work good too.

My first year with a pellet stove.

I've tried the starter gel, the little briquettes and now hand sanitizer. Sanitizer it's by far my favorite. The 60oz bottle from Walmart I found under the sink will last probably 2 seasons at least. Regular price is @ $8.

Handful of pellets, drizzle on a little gel, light, wait until the first layer of pellets turn black then start the stove. I usually wipe off the glass and remove ashes at the same time. Simple and easy!

Reactions: Ssyko
Good
. What ever works to get that started

Reactions: Ssyko
We find it best to place the pellets in the burn pot, about a cup as you say ... add some start gel or a starter brickette, light it ... let it burn for a couple, maybe even three minutes ... then turn on the stove on lowest setting ... and then shut the door. After the fire is well established, then we adjust it up if needed ... but she puts out good on low.

Tried liquid starter, it runs down through the pellets, into auger opening, even once through holes in burn pot. We use gel now almost always, it stays put. Just our experience. The brickettes work good too.
Try soaking the pellets in a suitable lidded jar with liquid fire starter before hand and then putting them in the pot and lighting them.

I use one of those peanut butter pretzel bites jars with a lid and because it's clear you can see when all the pellets have absorbed the firestarter. One thing about hand sanitizer and that is, it's not as volatile as gelled firestarter,

I do know one thing for certain, using a firestarter of any kind is a lot less expensive both in energy usage and eventual component replacement, than using an electric ignitor.

Reactions: tbear853
using a firestarter of any kind is a lot less expensive both in energy usage and eventual component replacement, than using an electric ignitor.
I can well imagine.

I won't 'cause I don't have one anyway.

Reactions: Washed-Up
I’m a brand spanking new pellet stover...I bought an ancient Whitfield Cascade for a song off FB Marketplace and have been running her for about a week. I’ve found what works best so far (only 4-5 bags in) is a handful of pellets in the burn pan, 3-4 generous squirts of hand sanitizer on top, let it get going for about a minute, then shut the door and turn it on low. Within 8-10 min she’s fired up. I realize this is very primitive, but it has worked for me so far.

Reactions: Ssyko and Washed-Up
I’m a brand spanking new pellet stover...I bought an ancient Whitfield Cascade for a song off FB Marketplace and have been running her for about a week. I’ve found what works best so far (only 4-5 bags in) is a handful of pellets in the burn pan, 3-4 generous squirts of hand sanitizer on top, let it get going for about a minute, then shut the door and turn it on low. Within 8-10 min she’s fired up. I realize this is very primitive, but it has worked for me so far.

inexpensive and covid free
;)

Been into primitive for20 years now.... I have to start mine on pellets as starting on corn is difficult.

Reactions: Washed-Up
I've tried the starter gel, the little briquettes and now hand sanitizer. Sanitizer it's by far my favorite. The 60oz bottle from Walmart I found under the sink will last probably 2 seasons at least. Regular price is @ $8.

Walmart sanitizer is now only 62% alcohol doesn't start as easy as the regular 70% hand sanitizer.

I might add that the liquid fire starter is much cheaper than the gelled stuff or even hand sanitizer.

I am back to using charcoal starter before I shut down stove to clean put pellets in baby food jar little squirt of starter fluid by the time I am done cleaning stove pellets are ready.

Checked my bottle of Equate sanitizer, it's 62%. Seems to work fine and since I never used the 70% I don't know the difference.

Switch to liquid charcoal starter, you'll be amazed and it's cheaper that hand sanitizer to boot. I make mine up in a big jar instead of a little one. One match and I'm good.

I have some charcoal fluid that I never use. I'll work up a small batch in a glass jar and try it out.
Put your pellets in a solvent proof jar (I use a plastic jar that bite size peanut filled pretzel squares come in (I'm addicted to them) with a screw on lid. Put the charcoal started fluid on them and let them turn dark brown (which means they have absorbed the fluid and unlike water, the pellets won't fall apart) and dump some in your burn pot and light. Works very well. I have to start my unit on pellets because it's almost impossible to ignite corn when starting my stove, I need the pellets burning first to ignite the corn because corn combusts at a much higher temperature than wood pellets do so the pellets establishes the burn before the corn gets augered in.

My stove doesn't burn corn which is good because pellets are hard enough to find in Texas!

I'll give your concoction a try and report back.

Buy yourself an extruded and start extruding dried sage brush..... :eek: