Finally Installed!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

enigmablaze

Oct 30, 2015
illinois
I know it's nothing compared to some of the beautiful parade of hearths on here but I'm super happy it's finally installed and working! We've waited a long time and it's already been a joy :) Huge thanks to Begreen, bholler and everyone else who answered my myriads of questions!

Introducing, our Morso 1440, Ventis double wall pipe to crazy tall Ventis Class A chimney. Installed by a local sweep.

IMG_4482.jpg FullSizeRender.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, that looks great! And you're going to be glad you did it right every time you light that little puppy.

Looks good!
Is it just the lighting and the angle, or is the class A a copper color?

Congratulations, it looks great. That corner of the house is going to be nice and toasty. If you split up some of that wood in half it will dry quicker. Then bring it inside and store it in some open rubbermaid totes or boxes. In a few weeks it may be dry enough to burn.

Looks good!
Is it just the lighting and the angle, or is the class A a copper color?
I noticed that too, had the same question.

Also, refresh my memory. Is the floor concrete slab?

Looks nice- Morso stoves are really pretty burning. Enjoy the warmth.

Congratulations, it looks great. That corner of the house is going to be nice and toasty. If you split up some of that wood in half it will dry quicker. Then bring it inside and store it in some open rubbermaid totes or boxes. In a few weeks it may be dry enough to burn.

I noticed that too, had the same question.

Also, refresh my memory. Is the floor concrete slab?
Yes the whole room is a concrete slab :)

Hey, that looks great! And you're going to be glad you did it right every time you light that little puppy.
Haha thanks ;lol. My friend thinks the chimney is comically tall but I tried to explain draft to her a little ;). First impressions is that it does appear to draft well. When the sweep finished installing it he put his hand in there and mentioned that it already had a good draft cold, my husband could feel the air inside it rushing up the pipe too so I'm hopeful we will have good draft all winter :).

Yes the whole room is a concrete slab :)
I thought so. You are good to go. That is the first time I have seen a copper chimney. Looks nice. I'm looking forward to hearing about hubby's and your experiences with the new stove.

Lol. I mean Chimney, Love the copper look.

I thought so. You are good to go. That is the first time I have seen a copper chimney. Looks nice. I'm looking forward to hearing about hubby's and your experiences with the new stove.
Thanks begreen! I'm so excited ;lol, I feel like we're starting to get it dialed in slowly but surely. Burning the ecobricks is a challenge when you can't use a bunch but we're getting more comfortable with it slowly :). It takes a LOT of air to get things moving and gets up to temp slowly (we're still working on that), we haven't had to turn the air down much, if we try it tends to die out very quickly (generally keep the stovetop temps between 450-650 as much as possible). I think we've been too conservative on the amount of fuel.

Reactions: ddddddden
Haha thanks ;lol. My friend thinks the chimney is comically tall but I tried to explain draft to her a little ;). First impressions is that it does appear to draft well. When the sweep finished installing it he put his hand in there and mentioned that it already had a good draft cold, my husband could feel the air inside it rushing up the pipe too so I'm hopeful we will have good draft all winter :).

You're only a little taller than mine :)
r8cXBthysIYxH835y-P2Gh3joiz0bHvOVymlfUQUqkowlOI_LlCgJpk_lEyiXzY0DgW0RJpdjwkwZjrt1OQ=w490-h653-no.jpg

How many bricks at a time are you burning?
Our dealer said to not burn more than one at a time, the weight of them is so great that one about maxes out the capacity. I think we've actually been doing 3/4 bricks (cut off a portion) with fat wood, a few kindling small splits and newspaper.

Introducing, our Morso 1440, Ventis double wall pipe to crazy tall Ventis Class A chimney. Installed by a local sweep.
View attachment 200907 View attachment 200905

How is your Morso 1440 working for you? I am amazed at how close to the corner and windows it looks in the picture. Is that 7" off the corners?

We are looking at a Morso 1440 for supplemental heat (and emergency heat) in the corner of our dining room. The Kitchen, dining room, and living room are essentially all open, and the dining room is in the center. Other than emergency use, it is primarily for "wouldn't it be nice to have a fire?". We like the small size and and close clearance that mean it can go into the corner without being in the way.

In our current house we have a gas fireplace that we rarely use. In our previous house, we had an open fireplace, which we enjoyed when we had occasion to use it, including when we had a long power outage in the dead of winter and used it to keep the pipes from freezing. I look forward to having a "hearth" again.

In planning our room, I hadn't thought about the possibility that a window could be that close to the corner. We were looking at doing some dry stack look stone veneer in the corner behind ours -- because it feels right -- even though it doesn't "need" it, and it probably doesn't reduce the distance from the stove to the wallboard.

How is your Morso 1440 working for you? I am amazed at how close to the corner and windows it looks in the picture. Is that 7" off the corners?

We are looking at a Morso 1440 for supplemental heat (and emergency heat) in the corner of our dining room. The Kitchen, dining room, and living room are essentially all open, and the dining room is in the center. Other than emergency use, it is primarily for "wouldn't it be nice to have a fire?". We like the small size and and close clearance that mean it can go into the corner without being in the way.

In our current house we have a gas fireplace that we rarely use. In our previous house, we had an open fireplace, which we enjoyed when we had occasion to use it, including when we had a long power outage in the dead of winter and used it to keep the pipes from freezing. I look forward to having a "hearth" again.

In planning our room, I hadn't thought about the possibility that a window could be that close to the corner. We were looking at doing some dry stack look stone veneer in the corner behind ours -- because it feels right -- even though it doesn't "need" it, and it probably doesn't reduce the distance from the stove to the wallboard.
It is actually slightly more than 7" from the corners! It is a very tight stove, clearance-wise. My understanding is stacked stone would NOT decrease the distance from the stove to the wallboard unless it was on a non-combustible substrate that was on spacers from the combustible wall with a gap on the top and bottom. With a stove this tight anyway it would make sense to just use the stone, give it is full clearance and call it a day I would think :).

We chose this stove because of its size, its clearances its look etc. We put it in a room maybe 250 sq ft and we love it! It is perfect for what we wanted, an occasional fire for fun, ambiance, warmth and emergencies. I will say if you want serious heat for your home this really doesn't seem like the right one. Even with moderate temps outside it only gets our room up to maybe 78* at full fire? That room is not very well insulated but I did expect to get much more heat from it, I was concerned it would overheat the room but either we are doing something wrong or it is just not a substantial heater because we haven't come close. That said it still is very good for us, the cool sides are good with our son and pets and while there's no STRONG feeling of heat generally like you may get from a radiant model, it is a very lovely and gentle heat. We'll see when winter comes how it does with the lower temps :).

We are burning mostly eco-bricks and with such a small stove that has proven to be quite a challenge to balance so far, I imagine wood would be FAR easier in this stove. :) For the record, the Olympia stovepipe has performed great as well and the Morso quality to us seem spot on...very pleased with the stove, just need to improve our skill :).

What stove top temperature is the 1440 typically running at? Is the air being closed down most or all the way once the bricks are burning well?

Last edited:
It is actually slightly more than 7" from the corners! It is a very tight stove, clearance-wise. My understanding is stacked stone would NOT decrease the distance from the stove to the wallboard unless it was on a non-combustible substrate that was on spacers from the combustible wall with a gap on the top and bottom. With a stove this tight anyway it would make sense to just use the stone, give it is full clearance and call it a day I would think :).

Thanks. I think we are planning to use non-combustible cement board, no air gap, with stone veneer on top of it, and put it 7" off the stone face. If it is any tighter in the corner than that, it seems like it would be hard to service. So, in essence, the stone will be just for looks, and the cement board will be above code, but I don't have a problem with that.

We chose this stove because of its size, its clearances its look etc. We put it in a room maybe 250 sq ft and we love it! It is perfect for what we wanted, an occasional fire for fun, ambiance, warmth and emergencies. I will say if you want serious heat for your home this really doesn't seem like the right one. Even with moderate temps outside it only gets our room up to maybe 78* at full fire? That room is not very well insulated but I did expect to get much more heat from it, I was concerned it would overheat the room but either we are doing something wrong or it is just not a substantial heater because we haven't come close. That said it still is very good for us, the cool sides are good with our son and pets and while there's no STRONG feeling of heat generally like you may get from a radiant model, it is a very lovely and gentle heat. We'll see when winter comes how it does with the lower temps :).

After seeing the Morso 1440 (and 1410) in person, we have relocated this to a central location in the house, because it is just so pretty. Compared to the other steel plate stoves, it really stood out in a great way. As much as anything, the stone on the wall is going to serve to accent the stove, and to put it in the right setting.

It is going to be new construction, and quite well insulated. The heat should be able to disperse well through several rooms so that we can have the fire for ambiance and fun without ever being driven out of the room by the intensity of the heat. If we ever do need to use it for emergency heat, we will probably need to hang blankets over the doorways into the living room so that we can keep the heat in the room. Even with that, we will probably be camped on the floor in front of the stove.

I did that before in our first house with 2 fireplaces. There was an extended power outage in the depths of the winter (Maryland winter) and I stayed in the house and kept the fire going to keep the pipes from freezing. It managed that, but it didn't keep me comfy.

We are burning mostly eco-bricks and with such a small stove that has proven to be quite a challenge to balance so far, I imagine wood would be FAR easier in this stove. :) For the record, the Olympia stovepipe has performed great as well and the Morso quality to us seem spot on...very pleased with the stove, just need to improve our skill :).

As far as wood goes, a friend was pointing out that if you cut it short enough, and split it small enough, wood will dry much faster than when it is in large pieces. I would also point out that wood will dry faster indoors than outdoors. You might be able to get some of your wood to dry a lot faster than you imagine if you cut it down enough, and stack it somewhere inside. To me, it would be worth it to get some real wood that I could burn on occasion.

For that matter, if you can harvest "leaning deadwood" some of that is very close to dry already. My experience with campfires suggests that aged wood that is just damp will dry out faster than green wood.

I am glad you love your stove. I can't wait for our stove to be ready, because it means the new house will also be ready.

What stove top temperature is the 1440 typically running at? Is the air being closed down most or all the way once the bricks are burning well?
"Typical" is a little hard to nail down because it doesn't like to stay very consistent very often but I'd say 600-650 maybe once things are going...at least we shoot for that but getting over 700 is pretty common. We do start shutting the air down but we have to keep it open for quite a long time, we learned that to get it going we actually have to leave the door open for a while (supervised) and then once it's going we can shut the door with the air open all the way for a while. We can't ever turn it down all the way or even maybe most of the way without risking the brick going out. Those things are tricky! Wood seems SO much easier, especially in this stove, but our wood situation is mostly still too damp.