Finally settling in to a routine....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bster13

Minister of Fire
Feb 24, 2012
CT
Being my first year, every stage of the game has been a learning experience. From cutting, splitting ,stacking, stove purchase/install, accessories, learning how to use the stove and start fires reliably, to moving heat, and now adjusting my reload times to how cold it is.

With temps now in the teens to the low thirties at night, and not much solar gain through my windows during the day I feel like it is true burning season in my parts. So here is my schedule:

At night I grab two large loads of wood in my firewood log carrier and stack them in my small firewood rack on the hearth. This is around 7:30 - 8pm. If it is "cold" out I throw a few splits on (hopefully uglies and stuff that does not stack nice inside the firebox) and that holds me until 11:30-12am when I go to bed or whenever I wipe the drool off my face, get off my butt and go to bed. I reload the stove with a full load and put the air on the 2nd dot, or maybe 3rd if it is "cold" and go to bed. In the morning I wake up to a ton of coals and reload ASAP while the wife takes the dog out. I watch the stove in between ironing hers and my clothes for the day. Once fharred I lower the bi-metal thermostat to 1.5-2 and take off for the day... rinse and repeat. It's been great!

This summer I hope to install a block off plate to keep even more heat in the stove room, but thus far I'm extremely happy with the ease of use and burn times with this stove.

My stove/living room is generally 76-78F, hallways are 69-70, bedroom is 64-66F, poorly insulated sunroom (grrr) is 62-64F. I have 3-4 fans going 24/7, but that's what I get for a poorly insulated home and a 1 story ranch. I'll take it for one floor living as I get older. :p

I hope everyone else's burn season is going well! My wood has been great, being C/S/S since Nov 2012, better seasoned wood to come next year!

Reactions: BobUrban and loon
Status
Not open for further replies.