1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Finally, shed's up

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by schortie, Aug 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. schortie

schortie Member

Loc:
    michigan
    Got the shed up. It's 16x9 and 8' in front, 6' in back. I'm guessing it will hold about a season's worth of wood - 4 cords or so if I stack 6' high. I'm still tinkering with what to do about the sides. I'm was thinking horizontal 1x6 spaced 2'' apart, but now I'm thinking 2x6 for more strength so I can stack my wood right against the sides and won't have to worry about cross-stacking. Anyhoo, here are some pics of the process. Notice one of my stacks in the background waiting for shelter.

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. maplewood

maplewood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NB Canada
    Great looking shed. Super location - sun, breeze, access.
    Nice to have some extra room (you could easily fit 5 or more cords in there - dry wood can be stacked close together).
    I like the idea of the 2x6 to add support and to lean your firewood directly against it. Will you space them 6" apart, to let the wind through?
    I'd add another diagonal brace on the back, to give it more stability.
    My shed fell over 3 years ago in a heavy snow storm. I didn't have enough diagonal bracing, and what wood I had was all pushing East, so
    the push plus the snow load plus the wind = collapsed. I haven't rebuilt it yet.
    Good luck with your shed!
    Happy burning.
  3. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Great looking woodshed.

Yeah the 12' X 24' wood shed I build twenty years ago doesn't have diagonal bracing and it has a definite lean to it now. I keep intending to tie the truck to it and pull it back straight and brace it. It is so full of junk now that I stack all the wood outside. :red:
  4. JeffRey30747

JeffRey30747 Member

Loc:
    NW GA USA
    I built my shed with corrugated metal on the two sides that are covered. It was inexpensive at the time but may be not such a good choice for a woodshed.
    I just recently helped my father build a shed very similar to mine. On his, we used 5 horizontal runs of old oak 2x6s that were too cupped, twisted and warped to do much else with and then covered that with two runs of 3' tall 2"x4" welded wire fencing. It is a pole barn building and the 2x6s and wire are on the inside so the pressure will push it into the posts instead of off of them. With the wire, the wood stays in place but gets plenty of airflow.
  5. LLigetfa

LLigetfa Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    Here are some pics of my shed and how I did the sides so I can stack right against them.
    http://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/39339/
  6. schortie

schortie Member

Loc:
    michigan
    Thanks for the insights. Which ever way I choose to go, I'm hoping to have it done by the weekend. I'll post pics when it's finished.
  7. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Slick shed. Nice roof slope too. When you build the bracing, make sure you make it good and strong. A pile of snow on the roof. Thousands of pounds of wood trying to poke its elbows out and a good stiff breeze can make for a lot of forces for that shed to deal with. You have built a nice one, now brace if for the future.

Edit: you may even want to consider a few "hurricane" hangers for the roof rafters. If you get a good stiff wind to the front of that shed its gonna want to take that roof for a ride. Don't let it.

Attached Files:

8. schortie

schortie Member

Loc:
    michigan
    Got most of the sides up, and strengthened the rafters with brackets. I won't do siding on the front, but I may add some to the back. For now, I can pull my small tractor and trailer right through it. We'll see what happens once all the wood is in there. I also decided to cross stack the ends of the wood instead of stacking right against the sides. It's really not that much more work.

Attached Files:

9. Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Ridge, LI, NY
    Good Lord !!! That'd make an awesome run in shed !!!!!

:coolsmile:

For a wood shed, it's really, really nice !!!!!!

:)
  10. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    +1 looks great
  11. Duetech

Duetech Minister of Fire

Loc:
    S/W MI
    The drive-thru is so nice it makes me think the rest of the shed is too short. Even so I would like to have that "too short drive thru" myself. Looks really good!
  12. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Good job schortie.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.