Finally, shed's up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

schortie

Nov 6, 2008
michigan
Got the shed up. It's 16x9 and 8' in front, 6' in back. I'm guessing it will hold about a season's worth of wood - 4 cords or so if I stack 6' high. I'm still tinkering with what to do about the sides. I'm was thinking horizontal 1x6 spaced 2'' apart, but now I'm thinking 2x6 for more strength so I can stack my wood right against the sides and won't have to worry about cross-stacking. Anyhoo, here are some pics of the process. Notice one of my stacks in the background waiting for shelter.

Attachments

• IMG_0936.jpg
    IMG_0936.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 909
  • IMG_0943.jpg
    IMG_0943.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 954
  • IMG_0942.jpg
    IMG_0942.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 904
Great looking shed. Super location - sun, breeze, access.
Nice to have some extra room (you could easily fit 5 or more cords in there - dry wood can be stacked close together).
I like the idea of the 2x6 to add support and to lean your firewood directly against it. Will you space them 6" apart, to let the wind through?
I'd add another diagonal brace on the back, to give it more stability.
My shed fell over 3 years ago in a heavy snow storm. I didn't have enough diagonal bracing, and what wood I had was all pushing East, so
the push plus the snow load plus the wind = collapsed. I haven't rebuilt it yet.
Good luck with your shed!
Happy burning.

Great looking woodshed.

Yeah the 12' X 24' wood shed I build twenty years ago doesn't have diagonal bracing and it has a definite lean to it now. I keep intending to tie the truck to it and pull it back straight and brace it. It is so full of junk now that I stack all the wood outside. :red:

schortie said:
I'm still tinkering with what to do about the sides. I'm was thinking horizontal 1x6 spaced 2'' apart, but now I'm thinking 2x6 for more strength so I can stack my wood right against the sides and won't have to worry about cross-stacking.

I built my shed with corrugated metal on the two sides that are covered. It was inexpensive at the time but may be not such a good choice for a woodshed.
I just recently helped my father build a shed very similar to mine. On his, we used 5 horizontal runs of old oak 2x6s that were too cupped, twisted and warped to do much else with and then covered that with two runs of 3' tall 2"x4" welded wire fencing. It is a pole barn building and the 2x6s and wire are on the inside so the pressure will push it into the posts instead of off of them. With the wire, the wood stays in place but gets plenty of airflow.

Thanks for the insights. Which ever way I choose to go, I'm hoping to have it done by the weekend. I'll post pics when it's finished.

Slick shed. Nice roof slope too. When you build the bracing, make sure you make it good and strong. A pile of snow on the roof. Thousands of pounds of wood trying to poke its elbows out and a good stiff breeze can make for a lot of forces for that shed to deal with. You have built a nice one, now brace if for the future.

Edit: you may even want to consider a few "hurricane" hangers for the roof rafters. If you get a good stiff wind to the front of that shed its gonna want to take that roof for a ride. Don't let it.

Attachments

• h25in.gif
    h25in.gif
    1.3 KB · Views: 647
Got most of the sides up, and strengthened the rafters with brackets. I won't do siding on the front, but I may add some to the back. For now, I can pull my small tractor and trailer right through it. We'll see what happens once all the wood is in there. I also decided to cross stack the ends of the wood instead of stacking right against the sides. It's really not that much more work.

Attachments

• IMG_0969.JPG
    IMG_0969.JPG
    82.3 KB · Views: 484
  • IMG_0971.JPG
    IMG_0971.JPG
    78.3 KB · Views: 502
Good Lord !!! That'd make an awesome run in shed !!!!!

:coolsmile:

For a wood shed, it's really, really nice !!!!!!

:)

+1 looks great

The drive-thru is so nice it makes me think the rest of the shed is too short. Even so I would like to have that "too short drive thru" myself. Looks really good!

Good job schortie.

Status
Not open for further replies.