Finally starting to get ahead!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jharkin

Minister of Fire
Oct 21, 2009
Holliston, MA USA
OK, so after a rough first season last winter things are looking up. Im finally making some progress on the wood supply.

I've had about 2 cords stacked for this season since last November. 1/2 of its "seasoned" oak I bought last fall and half is from the giant crabapple we took down. the oak is still 28-30% but the apple is already down to 18% ! If I can get that oak to 25 Ill mix in the dry stuff and call it good.

Been watching ads on craiglists looking to start stocking up for 11-12. A couple that seemed too good to be true price wise ended up being no-shows but today one came through. Pretty good price for this area - $170 for year old (bucked but not split i think) mixed oak and maple. First load is a bit short but the guy was honest and offered to bring more no questions asked so I may buy another cord. Wood is very clean and dryer than what most dealers around here deliver but still needs another year (~35). All in all not bad considering the going rate here come fall is $300 for standard cut the same day crap.

38677_1523911187387_1522838115_31323714_5572517_n.jpg

Once this is stacked I have a potential free score of around 1/2-1 cord at my wife's cousin's a couple towns over. Just need to borrow a truck to go get it.

Getting closer to the 2 years ahead goal...

-Jeremy

Nice looking Splits!

Nice looking wood, keep up the good work!

jharkin said:
OK, so after a rough first season last winter things are looking up. Im finally making some progress on the wood supply.

I've had about 2 cords stacked for this season since last November. 1/2 of its "seasoned" oak I bought last fall and half is from the giant crabapple we took down. the oak is still 28-30% but the apple is already down to 18% ! If I can get that oak to 25 Ill mix in the dry stuff and call it good.

Been watching ads on craiglists looking to start stocking up for 11-12. A couple that seemed too good to be true price wise ended up being no-shows but today one came through. Pretty good price for this area - $170 for year old (bucked but not split i think) mixed oak and maple. First load is a bit short but the guy was honest and offered to bring more no questions asked so I may buy another cord. Wood is very clean and dryer than what most dealers around here deliver but still needs another year (~35). All in all not bad considering the going rate here come fall is $300 for standard cut the same day crap.

Once this is stacked I have a potential free score of around 1/2-1 cord at my wife's cousin's a couple towns over. Just need to borrow a truck to go get it.

Getting closer to the 2 years ahead goal...

-Jeremy

Looks good keep it going.

zap

Nice looking wood.
Bet lots of water (or something ) consumed while working, with the temps you've been getting.
Good job
PS: The maul is up-side-down in the picture :)

Thanks guys... I'm getting there. Never would have guessed that i would find processing wood fun but I do... especially after staring at a screen all day at work (there is hope for my generation after all )

I'm enviously of you guys that manage to scrounge or cut all your wood free. I almost jumped on a truckload of logs earlier in the spring but wasn't sure if I was ready to do that much bucking and splitting yet. Maybe next time I will.

-Jeremy

P.S. I know the fiskars is upside down ;) Just threw it in there for a size reference... don't worry it gets well cared for....

Ended up making a deal for 2 cords with the guy. Second load came today and so far its all stacked out about a cord and a half.

37530_1525245220737_1522838115_31328504_6074985_n.jpg

"If it comes up short give me a ring and I'll bring more" ... so I will :)

jharkin said:
Getting closer to the 2 years ahead goal...-Jeremy

And then the goal becomes 3 and then 4 and before you know it, you're Backwoods Savage. :cheese:

jharkin said:
Ended up making a deal for 2 cords with the guy. Second load came today and so far its all stacked out about a cord and a half.

37530_1525245220737_1522838115_31328504_6074985_n.jpg

"If it comes up shot give me a ring and I'll bring more" ... so I will :)

Just a heads up. The cord and a half you have pictured is very loosely stacked (rightly so) and therefore is probably even less than what you figured. If one stacks the wood a bit tighter it takes up a whole lot less space. The good part of stacking like you do is that you get better air circulation to help dry the wood faster. Nice work.

Easy there Wendell...

Backwoods Savage said:
Just a heads up. The cord and a half you have pictured is very loosely stacked (rightly so) and therefore is probably even less than what you figured. If one stacks the wood a bit tighter it takes up a whole lot less space. The good part of stacking like you do is that you get better air circulation to help dry the wood faster. Nice work.

Understood. The price this guy is charging is just over half the going rate around here so as long as its close I'm going to be happy.

This is just the measure it pile. Over the next month I'm going to move this into single stacks out back. This is 11/12 wood :)

I should have known- a price that's too good to be true is too good to be true.

This seller talked the talk "I'll bring more if its short" "Making you happy is important cause I like referral business". So I called to tell him its short and he promised to bring another load next day no questions asked.

That was a week ago. No wood. 3 calls have all gone to voice-mail.

Why am I not surprised :(

If this was someone you found on craigslist, it sounds like a good flame is in order.

jharkin said:
I should have known- a price that's too good to be true is too good to be true.

This seller talked the talk "I'll bring more if its short" "Making you happy is important cause I like referral business". So I called to tell him its short and he promised to bring another load next day no questions asked.

That was a week ago. No wood. 3 calls have all gone to voice-mail.

Why am I not surprised :(

Just might be on summer vacation. Of course if he is, then change the damn voice mail message.

Its a local landscaping outfit in town that is run out of the guys house. He has a sign out at the end of his driveway.

I'd like to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume vacation... But in the couple days before I bought the wood while confirming time they ALWAYS answered the phone or called back within 5 minutes. Now that they have my money they don't answer.

Its a real shame... the wood is much cleaner and more uniform than what most dealers around here deliver. Even $50 more per cord it would have been a great deal if the quantity was as advertised.

jharkin said:
I'm enviously of you guys that manage to scrounge or cut all your wood free. I almost jumped on a truckload of logs earlier in the spring but wasn't sure if I was ready to do that much bucking and splitting yet. Maybe next time I will.

At least for me, it would be a huge game changer if I had to buy wood; just couldn't justify the price vs savings in gas. I think there is a large sense of satisfaction that comes from knowing you got the stuff for free and processed it yourself. Now, don't get me wrong, I am not saying there is anything wrong with buying your yearly supply; I would just encourage you to take a little if it's offered and just see for yourself if you don't find that you are talking more about the stuff you did than what was dropped off. Once you're hooked, it's all over! ;-P

You paid $340 and got 1.5 cords. That comes down to $226.67 a cord if you got a full 1.5 cords. Next time offer to stack it before handing over the cash.

I'd love to scrounge all my wood. Really. But I dont have a pickup, which puts a damper on being able to chace down free wood offers. Most of the local tree services sell wood as a side business, so no luck on getting stuff dropped off for free.

And buying a pickup - even a used beater - just to get free wood would be rather counter productive if the goal is saving money... And with twins on the way another vehicle is simply not in the budget :(

I'd like to see the wood seller who would sit and wait 2 hours while you stack a cord before getting there money - maybe where you guys live but not here.

BTW, Ive done the math, anything under $275 a cord is still cheaper than NG - and that's at last years rock bottom NG prices... which wont last.

CTburning said:
You paid $340 and got 1.5 cords. That comes down to $226.67 a cord if you got a full 1.5 cords. Next time offer to stack it before handing over the cash.
...But if it makes you feel any better, around these parts a cord of Red Oak goes for 200. to 220. a cord, dumped. And that's unseasoned. So even if you did end up getting burned, it wasn't way over the top, at least. Some of the guys in E. MA have been paying 300 dollars plus for one cord of hardwood.

Status
Not open for further replies.