Finally tried a bag of Lignetics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oilhater

Jul 30, 2009
Southern NH
This is my second year burning so I have not had the chance to burn many different pellets. Last year I burnt one ton of NEWP and one ton of Pennington (post problem batch I guess). Both seemed ok, Pennington's were definetly dirtier with alot more fines in the bag. This year I bought a ton of Eagle Valley and another ton of NEWP. I also picked up a few bags of Lignetics to try. Still finishing up some Pennington's, so I put a meat thermometer in one of the heat exchanger tubes ( I know not very scientific) and let it stabilize. Got about 187-193 degrees. Put in the Lignetics and let it go for an hour. Checked the temp and was very surprised to see the Lignetcs were burning about 170-178. About a full 10 degrees COOLER than the Pennington's. The Lignetics were cleaner and didn't get the glass as dirty but were also not as hot.

Did you use the same settings on your stove? Often a different brand means adjusting the air or feed rate. I would think the best measurement would be when you have the optimum burn for each brand pellet. I have used several brands over the years and reset the stove with each change.

Where did you get the Eagle Valley pellets? I haven't found them around here. How did they burn?

oilhater said:
This is my second year burning so I have not had the chance to burn many different pellets. Last year I burnt one ton of NEWP and one ton of Pennington (post problem batch I guess). Both seemed ok, Pennington's were definetly dirtier with alot more fines in the bag. This year I bought a ton of Eagle Valley and another ton of NEWP. I also picked up a few bags of Lignetics to try. Still finishing up some Pennington's, so I put a meat thermometer in one of the heat exchanger tubes ( I know not very scientific) and let it stabilize. Got about 187-193 degrees. Put in the Lignetics and let it go for an hour. Checked the temp and was very surprised to see the Lignetcs were burning about 170-178. About a full 10 degrees COOLER than the Pennington's. The Lignetics were cleaner and didn't get the glass as dirty but were also not as hot.

I would agree with the responses given so far. See Jay's test https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/42511/ and you will find that he had the Pennington's at 227 and the Lignetics at 250. Unless you had a bad bag or run, this would be unusual.

I am burning Lignetics at the moment and find them to be one of the hottest pellets out there, as well as being very consistent.

Burning a sample bag of Lignetics right now in our Europa. Cleaner glass and heath exchanger air temps at 270ish instead of 290ish..after peeking at the ash pan it looks like less ash as well..this is compared to the PA pellets I normally use.

joefraser said:
Where did you get the Eagle Valley pellets? I haven't found them around here. How did they burn?
Pellet Sales.com has them. Have not tried a bag yet...waiting for the real cold to kick in. I'll post when I do.

littlesmokey said:
Did you use the same settings on your stove? Often a different brand means adjusting the air or feed rate. I would think the best measurement would be when you have the optimum burn for each brand pellet. I have used several brands over the years and reset the stove with each change.
Yes, same settings. I was also only using setting #2 of 5. Maybe the Lignetics need more air.

oilhater said:
littlesmokey said:
Yes, same settings. I was also only using setting #2 of 5. Maybe the Lignetics need more air.

I found that the Lignetic hardwoods do like more air. Like the others I found them to be on the hot side. A bit more ash than I would like. But at 249/ton?

I wish they had the Lignetics softwoods around here. I would love to try them again. Just never see themm any more.

jtakeman said:
oilhater said:
littlesmokey said:

I found that the Lignetic hardwoods do like more air. Like the others I found them to be on the hot side. A bit more ash than I would like. But at 249/ton?

I wish they had the Lignetics softwoods around here. I would love to try them again. Just never see themm any more.

Jay,

What are you referring to when you said "at $249/ton? Did you see that price near you?

Franks said:
Burning a sample bag of Lignetics right now in our Europa. Cleaner glass and heath exchanger air temps at 270ish instead of 290ish..after peeking at the ash pan it looks like less ash as well..this is compared to the PA pellets I normally use.

Not to infer anything negative about the Europa (Dell Point?) but I was a bit surprised to read that you are getting a cleaner glass with lignetics. That tells me the glass doesn`t normally stay so clean.
I understand the stove is one of ,if not, the cleanest burning stove available and am surprised that the glass is anything but perfectly clear.
My Harman P-38 glass has been burning on low for 4 days (2 bags +) and the glass stays exceptionally clean but for a very light transparent haze on the top 1/3 that will progressively turn to a light grey ash buildup over the couse of a few weeks.

Gio said:
Franks said:

Not to infer anything negative about the Europa (Dell Point?) but I was a bit surprised to read that you are getting a cleaner glass with lignetics. That tells me the glass doesn`t normally stay so clean.
I understand the stove is one of ,if not, the cleanest burning stove available and am surprised that the glass is anything but perfectly clear.
My Harman P-38 glass has been burning on low for 4 days (2 bags +) and the glass stays exceptionally clean but for a very light transparent haze on the top 1/3 that will progressively turn to a light grey ash buildup over the couse of a few weeks.

The Europa in our showroom will dirty the glass on a low burn in about 24 hours. The model we have was one of the 86% efficient ones. It was a system of NOT having an airwash that caused this. Claude did not have an airwash because he felt introducing air where it wasnt directly used for combustion would lower the efficiency. He added an airwash this spring and ran some tests..that, among some other tweaks, actually increased the heat exchanger efficiency using the lower heat value to about 95%. He confirmed his findings over the summer when Omni tested it at 94.9% with the new airwash. He still isnt sure why (or he just isnt telling me ;)) The newer stoves are now running with a much cleaner glass with the same type of results as your P-38.

So it was a very valid question and I'm glad you brought it up so I could answer it here.

countk said:
jtakeman said:
oilhater said:
littlesmokey said:

Jay,

What are you referring to when you said "at $249/ton? Did you see that price near you?

Yes, Local true value hardware(carls in torrington) has them. Many tons of them. But I am done buying for this season.

Franks said:
Gio said:
Franks said:

My Harman P-38 glass has been burning on low for 4 days (2 bags +) and the glass stays exceptionally clean but for a very light transparent haze on the top 1/3 that will progressively turn to a light grey ash buildup over the course of a few weeks.

The Europa in our showroom will dirty the glass on a low burn in about 24 hours. The model we have was one of the 86% efficient ones. It was a system of NOT having an airwash that caused this. Claude did not have an airwash because he felt introducing air where it wasnt directly used for combustion would lower the efficiency. He added an airwash this spring and ran some tests..that, among some other tweaks, actually increased the heat exchanger efficiency using the lower heat value to about 95%. He confirmed his findings over the summer when Omni tested it at 94.9% with the new airwash. He still isnt sure why (or he just isnt telling me ;)) The newer stoves are now running with a much cleaner glass with the same type of results as your P-38.

So it was a very valid question and I'm glad you brought it up so I could answer it here.

Well, thanks for the explanation Franks . I really didn`t want to sound like a nit picker but had to ask since it`s a very interesting stove and having a glass that stays reasonably clean is important IMO.

oilhater said:
I have noticed that pellets from different manufacturers feed at different rates in my Englander PDVC depending on diameter and length making heat comparisons difficult. In comparing Somerset to Lignetics I found Somerset was .250" / .260" Dia and Lignetics .270" / .280 Dia. I also noticed that the Somerset pellets were shorter on the average. The Somerset pellets burn much hotter on the same settings than Lignetics in my PDVC. Both burn clean; Lignetics somewhat cleaner. I did temperature tests on several different brands but found too many variables to determine to how much heat you get out of a bag of pellets for comparison. I decided if they are not crumbly, not full of fines, feed ok, and burn clean that they are good pellets. I just raise or lower my feed settings to get the desired temperature.

The Lignetics I burned last year were great, little or no fines and real hot, average to low ash. They were Green label and said "Hardwood". The ones I have this year say "Hardwood and Conifer" (Green Label) and they have a bunch more fines but heat seems about the same. These are definately a dirtier (fines, grittier) pellet when you run your hands through them than the ones labeled all hardwood which are real clean and shiny.

So, Lignetics is putting out at least 4 different types of pellets that I know of:
Green Label - Hardwood
Green Label - Hardwood and Conifer
Orange Label - Softwood
Presto-Logs labeled

I also have some bags bags of O'Malley Hardwood and actually like them better than the Lignetics Hardwood and Conifer mix. though my favorite is still the nice clean and shiny Lignetics Hardwood.

Status
Not open for further replies.