Finding the right double-wall stovepipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

GaryOR

Aug 20, 2018
OR Coast Range
So I thought the basic black stovepipe was going to be the easy part of the install . . .

I've seen comments (@bholler here & @Squisher here being the two I can find right off) about there being a performance difference between ventilated and non-ventilated double-wall stovepipe.

From that basis, it would seem I want to specifically find the non-ventilated style of double-wall; but I haven't yet stumbled across a reference that specifically calls out what brands/model of piping are ventilated or not.

My original plan was going to be to order everything from one source, but I don't have issues spending money in multiple places if it gets me the best final result. (Currently leaning towards Rockford at the moment unless there are recommendations for a different "Ventis-compatible" supplier.)

But looking at Rockfords's description for the double wall piping they offer, the bit about "exclusive Thermal Web design creates a free airflow that cools the outer pipe temperature" sounds to me exactly like the ventilation that folks were warning to avoid.

Am I reading that wrong?

Does anybody have suggestions for brand(s) of known non-ventilated stovepipe they can point me at?

Thanks all!

So I thought the basic black stovepipe was going to be the easy part of the install . . .

I've seen comments (@bholler here & @Squisher here being the two I can find right off) about there being a performance difference between ventilated and non-ventilated double-wall stovepipe.

From that basis, it would seem I want to specifically find the non-ventilated style of double-wall; but I haven't yet stumbled across a reference that specifically calls out what brands/model of piping are ventilated or not.

My original plan was going to be to order everything from one source, but I don't have issues spending money in multiple places if it gets me the best final result. (Currently leaning towards Rockford at the moment unless there are recommendations for a different "Ventis-compatible" supplier.)

But looking at Rockfords's description for the double wall piping they offer, the bit about "exclusive Thermal Web design creates a free airflow that cools the outer pipe temperature" sounds to me exactly like the ventilation that folks were warning to avoid.

Am I reading that wrong?

Does anybody have suggestions for brand(s) of known non-ventilated stovepipe they can point me at?

Thanks all!
It will say ventilated if it is. If it doesnt say ventilated it is regular. There will always be airflow between sections that is how they keep the outside temps down. The ventilated stuff has slots on the outside to let the heat out which doesnt have the benifit of keeping internal temps up.

It will say ventilated if it is. If it doesnt say ventilated it is regular. There will always be airflow between sections that is how they keep the outside temps down. The ventilated stuff has slots on the outside to let the heat out which doesnt have the benifit of keeping internal temps up.

Ah, OK. I haven't run across any that actually has slots cut into it.

So something else that I was obviously overthinking since their description about airflow and cooling the outer pipe certainly seemed to match my understanding of the word ventilated!

Thank you again for your help sir.

If you ever make it to the Oregon Coast, beers & pizza are on me;ex