Fines (pellet dust)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Feb 25, 2012
California sierras
Are fines a hazard in any way? Being a recent arrival to the pellet world I thought I should ask. Any danger of fines causing a fire in the hopper?

I never had a problem, but then my stove sends the fines to the burner to make sparkly shower show.

Now, now you are supposed to help the new burner and explain how some stoves can't handle fines very well because enough fines can stop pellets from feeding.

This condition while not a hazard can cause much dental trouble due to the gnashing of teeth when it is discovered that your stove isn't producing any heat because the fire went out and it turns out that the pellets aren't making it to the auger due to a pile of fines that keeps the auger covered.

Reactions: mralias
awww ok I will try and remember that for the next time.;) I have heard some people vacume out the dust from the hopper,To stop auger jams. but I didnt nor sifted either :p That how we doood it?????????

Fines are sort of like not backing up your computer -- it's not a hazard, it can just screw you.

I think most people follow common sense and try to limit the number of fines that get in their hopper. Some people are hard core about it, as J points out. Me, I pour some pellets in, shake the bag to try to shake fines downward, pour more pellets in, etc.

Reactions: SmokeyTheBear
What are these "fines" y'all speak of? Do you mean the powdered pellet dust at the bottom of the bag? If so, they have never caused my Vermont Castings any problem in 21 years. It has just one auger that runs horizontal into burn pot.

I am such a newb, still have yet to see a bag with fines in it...

What are these "fines" y'all speak of? Do you mean the powdered pellet dust at the bottom of the bag? If so, they have never caused my Vermont Castings any problem in 21 years. It has just one auger that runs horizontal into burn pot.

Ayuh, that be them.

Get yourself one of those spring augers and forget to vacuum the hooper out on a regular basis and you'll know what we are taking about.

Also some diagonal solid screw auger systems can get plugged in that the auger flight can fill with fines and very small amounts get pushed out into the burn pot. The auger just tunnels in the fines.

I didn't know that some use spring augers .... yes, I can see where the problem would be. I have a buddy who has a stove with a uphill auger that feeds stuff up hill into a second tube that falls into the burn pot, I can see how that would also be a problem. Not sure of make.

Mine is a solid auger blade wrapped around center rod fitted in a horizontal tube from pellet hopper to burn pot rear.

Oh those lovely Quads use'm spring style augers.

I make certain to run my hopper out occasionally just so I can clean any fines I might have out, I have an angled auger system with drop chute.

Harmans have a fines box just to catch them.

Reactions: The Ds
After thinking about it there has to be some fines that are created just by the action of the auger. I can understand how moisture can play a major roll in blockages but that shouldn't be an issue. All my pellets are stored indoors.

My Harman burns them up with no problems. I dump the whole bag in fines and all. It is all BTU's.

Reactions: Hoot23
Just for info, we have a new Enviro Mini. I haven't a clue what type of auger it has.
It has a corkscrew type auger. It will convey most of the fines to the burnpot. I usually just let my stove run real low on pellets once every few weeks. Carefully Pick/scoop out the precious pellets and vacuum up any fines. Throw the pellets back in, Then add more and hit the go button.

After thinking about it there has to be some fines that are created just by the action of the auger. I can understand how moisture can play a major roll in blockages but that shouldn't be an issue. All my pellets are stored indoors.

Normal conveying of the fuel by the auger does create fines a small amout. Very minimal.

Wet pellets turn to mush. As the auger tries to lift them it actually compresses the mush in the chute. This will usually cause a blockage or jam you will need to clean out. Major PITA as you have to remove the auger cover and start removing the mess. It can break the coupling and even break off the kickers on the top of the auger itself. If you see a bag with a football in the corners, Carefull pour off the good pellets into a bucket. Disgaurd the mush in the compost pile/garden. Great fiber to the soil is about all its good for. I burn it in my wood eater to get all the BTU's I can from them.

Fines are like chocolate. If you just...errr, this is going to be too tough. Actually fines are nothing like chocolate.
But, as long as you do your maintenance, and you do not have "excessive" fines, then it should not be an issue. What is "excessive?".....well the PFI defines excessive as anything greater than 1/2 % of the overall weight of the pellets. You can either rely on the lethargically dismal PFI's definition or you can just use your common sense. Look at the pellets as you pour them in and is it looks like someone threw in a cup of flour in the bag of pellets, then you may want to consider changing brands. Burning pellets is an awesome way to heat. Do not let yourself become so concerned about every possible problem that could arise that you lose the enjoyment of burning pellets. :)
Auger jams could be a result of excessive fines, and auger jams do happen....that's why they make those bumper stickers! But more often than not, it is because of wet pellets, not fines. If your pellets do have too many fines, you will most likely be able to tell just by looking at them. Good question and good post, but the mere laws of statistics say thay you are safe from excessive fines. Happy burning!

Status
Not open for further replies.