Finished bucking up the last of a poplar for kindling

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebelduckman

Minister of Fire
Dec 14, 2013
Pulaski, Mississippi
image.jpg Just have to split now, which will be easy with the fiskers. Love poplar for kindling and for a quick burst of heat. Dries out quick down here 3-6 months easy. We've got an area about 5 acres that is full of just about all poplar

Looks like you got it before it got too big. Some of the farmers around me girdle them to kill the roots as well but I dont know if that works. Since they are so aggressive about coppicing.
I noticed all my beech trees are coming back from the stumps.
Do you have any leaves? To show us?
Nice wood stack.

Reactions: Rebelduckman
Looks like you got it before it got too big. Some of the farmers around me girdle them to kill the roots as well but I dont know if that works. Since they are so aggressive about coppicing.
I noticed all my beech trees are coming back from the stumps.
Do you have any leaves? To show us?
Nice wood stack.

ill snap some tomorrow thanks

Looks a bit different than our local poplar - our bark is often whiter. Poplar and willow seem to be the bane of my yard - pop up as quickly as the weeds.

You the man !!!, love those stacks, your one of the few that understand cutting, splitting, and drying time.

Reactions: Rebelduckman
That's great stuff. If you pick the straight grain trees between 10-15 inch diameter they split perfectly and dry quickly. A few weeks ago I cut and split a pickup load of the stuff for my hunting camp use in October.

Looks a bit different than our local poplar - our bark is often whiter.
This is Tulip "Poplar." Not a true Poplar, but actually a member of the Magnolia family. It's a little better in the BTU department, about 16 MBTU/cord.

We have a lot of Poplar in our local woods. When I first started burning I burned a lot of it the first year since it dried fast and it was easy to come by. I still mix some into my racks. It's always a guaranteed easy starting wood for sure!

Status
Not open for further replies.