Finished puttin up another cord

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ckarotka

Minister of Fire
Sep 21, 2009
Northwest PA on the lake
I've got one more cord for 2011-2012 stacked. I think that makes about 2 cord for 2012. I only burn between 2-3 cord a winter so by the end of summer I should have almost 3 years worth..... Gosh does that feel good!!!!!!!!!!!

Here's a before and after so far from my last score. Any advice on those big guys that I know are gonna be a pita.
The only splitter I have is me.

Attachments

• wood big file.jpg
    wood big file.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 454
  • more wood.jpg
    more wood.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 448
  • wood big file 2.jpg
    wood big file 2.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 440
ckarotka said:
I've got one more cord for 2011-2012 stacked. I think that makes about 2 cord for 2012. I only burn between 2-3 cord a winter so by the end of summer I should have almost 3 years worth..... Gosh does that feel good!!!!!!!!!!!

Here's a before and after so far from my last score. Any advice on those big guys that I know are gonna be a pita.

ckarotka nice work, on the big rounds if you want to wait until winter when it's frozen they'll pop.

zap

zapny said:
ckarotka said:

ckarotka nice work, on the big rounds if you want to wait until winter when it's frozen they'll pop.

zap

Are you saying it better to split the big rounds when there frozen?.. Because I have many big rounds..

Get some wedges and a sledge. Or noodle them up with the saw.

Props to you for being 3 years ahead...nothing like burning well seasoned wood.

ggans said:
zapny said:
ckarotka said:

zap

Are you saying it better to split the big rounds when there frozen?.. Because I have many big rounds..

I split with a 24 ton splitter, split last year in the winter and they pop nice. I've done big ones in the summer and it will make it (the splitter) growl before it pops.

zap

zapny, it really depends on the wood...sometimes yes! Sometimes...not so much... :lol:

Thanks guys,

I really want to get it split and stacked asap, cuz it's kinda in my yard. The plan is to split every night atleast for an hour until it's gone. Gotta make room for the fall scores ;-P I will split what I can by hand and make a pile for the splitter to rent or borrow.

burntime said:
zapny, it really depends on the wood...sometimes yes! Sometimes...not so much... :lol:

The stuff I split last winter was mostly beech and hard maple.

zap

What is the cone of shame?

That's funny, I thought it was the pile of wood the wife is always complaining about.

I know oak gets easier, but hey, oak by me splits easy anyway... My area of elm is easier in winter...so is hickory. I think it is ask that gets difficult.

ckarotka said:
Thanks guys,

I really want to get it split and stacked asap, cuz it's kinda in my yard. The plan is to split every night atleast for an hour until it's gone. Gotta make room for the fall scores ;-P I will split what I can by hand and make a pile for the splitter to rent or borrow.

I'd just go ahead and split. While some wood will split better in the winter, that is not the case for all. If you get some tough ones, then just save those for later. Keep some liquid handy for you also while splitting at this time of the year.

burntime said:
I know oak gets easier, but hey, oak by me splits easy anyway... My area of elm is easier in winter...so is hickory. I think it is ask that gets difficult.

I had some oak last Nov that's all done and it was about 24" in diameter but was straight and knot free and was much easier to split than this. This stuff seems to have large knots starting from the center every 12" or so causing me grief. I'd take more oak over this, but the price was right $20 not in cash but more of a gift. I'll split what I can and set aside the problem childs.

I think I will do my normal trade with a friend, his splitter for a few hours and I give a bottle or case, not a bad deal. I really like to split by hand, makes me feel good and gives me some exercise.

Status
Not open for further replies.