Fire box material

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 16, 2015
Cheyenne, Wyoming
I just installed a used Century Heating 2500x insert. I thought my fireplace was masonry, however if I pound on the brick inside the firebox it does sound like it isn't solid brick behind it.
I cut the old damper handle guide right before it attaches to the damper in order to get my liner to fit. In the process I gut into this brick material. Is this an asbestos material? It's a 1978 house, exterior brick fireplace.

Thanks

I just installed a used Century Heating 2500x insert. I thought my fireplace was masonry, however if I pound on the brick inside the firebox it does sound like it isn't solid brick behind it.
I cut the old damper handle guide right before it attaches to the damper in order to get my liner to fit. In the process I gut into this brick material. Is this an asbestos material? It's a 1978 house, exterior brick fireplace.

Thanks
Its not solid brick inside the fire box, the bricks appears to be of some kind of clay or something lol, when I did mine a few months ago I noticed that, but I'm sure the guys on here can add to my little bit of information lol

Reactions: flyingarmstrong
The fireback may be built out of firebrick. It's usually a tan color. There could be a layer of insulation behind the firebrick or an air gap before the outer masonry.

It's hard to know what the mason used. I would treat anything unknown like that with the assumption that it could be asbestos. While working in that area wear a respirator mask and wet down the area with a water spray bottle first. Bag the material in a plastic bag for disposal.

Status
Not open for further replies.