Fire brick and summit question.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
O

oldspark

My old stove had a lot denser fire brick in it and would like to replace those in the summit with the better ones (one is broke), does any one know if the Rutland ones that are rated at 2700 degrees compared to the other brands rated at 2200 degrees are the denser type?
And does the gap above the summit's firebricks on the sides bug any one else besides me?

I believe there are a couple different types of bricks being used today. I believe you would want to stick with the type the stove was built with??

My Lopi has a heavy brick in it, when I bought it I was told to only replace it with that style brick.

So the lite weight ones have better insulating value, I guess I thought just the opposite.

oldspark said:
So the lite weight ones have better insulating value, I guess I thought just the opposite.

Interesting, do you think I should worry about breaking the firebricks on my new T-5?

Ray

Mine are still doing fine. Just don't slam wood in there.

BeGreen said:
Mine are still doing fine. Just don't slam wood in there.

I'll need to be more careful.. With the CDW I used to slam it in there and it didn't care lol... It still has the original cast iron heat shields and they are in good shape..

Ray

I certainly don't baby ours with 10" splits going in there sometimes. They are too heavy to fuss with when the stove is hot. That said, I'm sure one will crack now the next time I load up the stove. LOL

BeGreen said:
I certainly don't baby ours with 10" splits going in there sometimes. They are too heavy to fuss with when the stove is hot. That said, I'm sure one will crack now the next time I load up the stove. LOL

LOL yup you've just jinxed yourself! Better pick a spare brick before you run that big beast!

Ray

I'm not gentle on mine, but I don't slam the carp outta them. Going into year 4 and still looking good.

The gap bugged me at first, OS. But after reading, now I understand the air flow, etc, and it makes sense (and don't ask me to 'splain it, cause it ain't happening
action-smiley-034.gif
)

Slamming N/S stuff in the stove, don't worry about the bricks. Be gentle for the sake of that steel in the back. I did our old Sierra insert in by slamming big N/S splits into the back wall of the firebox when it was cranking and a weld finally said "OK Jack. That's it. I am letting go.".

I was very careful about putting the wood in so I'm blaming the broken one on the wife. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.