Fire brick lined?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mk1390

Mar 12, 2014
Michigan
I am currently building and outdoor wood stove the fire box is a 500 gallon propane tank that is 5/16 thick should I line the bottom as sides in fire brick or sand or should I just let it burn

Brick it. If there's water on the other side of the steel, the direct-contact firebox wall is a recipe for a lot of creosote. More evolved burners now provide a fully-insulated section to burn off the volatiles (would-be creosote) followed by heat exchange sections to get the heat into the water. Not only does it burn cleaner, you get more heat because you are burning more of what comes out of the wood...

You can buy a bag of it and form it to what you want. Bricks are 3.50 ea. here. Seems like a lot and then you get spaces between.

Status
Not open for further replies.