Fire Clay Recipe for Parging

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

1910Home

Jan 14, 2019
Pomona, CA
Any recommendations for a mixture suitable for parging portions of a brick firebox?

Any type of binding agent that should be added?

What about fiberglass for added strength?

I did the smoke chamber with Chambertech but am focused now on the upper inside walls of the smokebox and was hoping to do something more cost effective and easier to apply.

Any recommendations for a mixture suitable for parging portions of a brick firebox?

Any type of binding agent that should be added?

What about fiberglass for added strength?

I did the smoke chamber with Chambertech but am focused now on the upper inside walls of the smokebox and was hoping to do something more cost effective and easier to apply.
Why are you parking anything in the firebox? Absolutely not fiberglass

Just inside the fireplace, above line of site, there was a buildup of regular cement which was cracking and brittle. I removed it exposing the brick. I would like to put a layer of something over it to provide a smoother surface and take care of the many crevices in between the bricks. It is standard brick, not fire brick.

Just inside the fireplace, above line of site, there was a buildup of regular cement which was cracking and brittle. I removed it exposing the brick. I would like to put a layer of something over it to provide a smoother surface and take care of the many crevices in between the bricks. It is standard brick, not fire brick.
Ok why not just use chamber tech there as well?

Have you tried the fireplace yet? Does it work ok with the double liners?

Have you tried the fireplace yet? Does it work ok with the double liners?
Only with a small fire. Had to put the project on hold for a while. Now getting back to it.

Was trying to go with something a little easier to apply. Plus more cost effective. I did not have good luck in applying a thin coat of chambertech and getting it to suction on.

Only with a small fire. Had to put the project on hold for a while. Now getting back to it.

Was trying to go with something a little easier to apply. Plus more cost effective. I did not have good luck in applying a thin coat of chambertech and getting it to suction on.
Chamber tech is way easier to apply when mixed to the proper consistency