Fire going out after half an hour or so in new stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy H

Oct 4, 2009
Upstate NY
Figured I'd get more help if I started a new thread

anyways, I installed the new stove yesterday and it fired right up and ran for maybe half an hour then the alarm went off and it shut down

I'd fire it back up and it would run for 20 minutes or so then the same thing and a couple times it would not start at all

It's a Forester 5824 and I did call them and even the tech didn't know a lot since it's a new stove. He said to check vent slide in the back of the stove and play around with that. I'm at work now but will try when I get home. I was just wondering if anybody else had any ideas?

The auger is running fine, the door seal is good

the only other thing i can think of is that I did not put rtv on any of the pipes yet and i just pushed the adapter pipe on the back of the stove and didn't rtv or screw it in yet. That shouldn't matter though should it? I'm guessing they are not that sensitive?

Andy it sounds to me that theres something wrong with the high limit switch which is why the stove wont start back up right away, also you said the auger is working,its not running continous is it? that would cause a over heat situation,just some thoughts.

I opened the hopper bin and pushed the switch down just to bypass it and watched the auger. It would turn just a little bit every 20 seconds or so (just a guess) and drop a few pellets down. The flame looks good and it doesn't seem like it's getting too hot.

Well that sounds about right,maybe it has more to do with the high limit switch thinking the stove is overheating when really its not.

I'm looking at the parts diagram now and don't even see a vacuum hose???

would it be this, the thing that is going into the pressure switch?

DSCF1264.gif

btw-

here is the stove

stove.jpg

excuse the mess, and i still need to do some paint touch ups. I'm also going to put another outlet in behind the stove so it hides the cord.

Just to give an update it was the vent slide. I slid it open and the fire started going crazy. Pellets were flying everywhere and it sounded like a blow torch. I moved it around a little bit until the flame seemed right.

It ran great for the next 6 hours.

I did shut it down and start it up a few times just to test it out. I want to make sure its running perfect for when i'm at work and my wife is home and wants to turn it on. One of the times I started it up the inside filled with a lot of smoke and some was coming out the blower and then it made a bang and the fire started roaring. I know the burn pot was empty when i turned it on so i don't think there could have been too many pellets in there.

Hey Andy, That`s good news. Keep us posted on the stove regarding maintenance like if daily scraping of the burnpot is necessary, how often you have to clean out / vacuum ashes and overall burning of pellets and heat output as best you can determine.
It`s a good looker , interesting design , and might well prove to be another decent stove for the money.

is that in your hall?

Where is Andy? We want an update.

I just purchased this stove and it is just what I wanted for the basement.

I believe it would be noisy for upstairs and compete with the TV or stereo.

Still experimenting will different pellets and just started a spreadsheet for comparison.
Would be happy to share results with you all.

Only con so far is the flue outlet is too low and will make cleaning a pain.
May just build up a hearth cure this.

Being my first pellet stove, I can not compare the pro's to others.

I do like the hopper as compared to others I looked at.
Nice deep sides and not much to hang up pellets (just those rivet ends which I will gring down this summer).
Had to tough 2nd startup, but learned quickly it likes to burn out by it's self and startup from there.
Third and fourth start went fine.

I cleaned it after a 2 day burn and didn't find much to clean.
Rather pleased with this for I was told this would be a 'dirty' stove and need daily cleaning.

I thought at first the controls may be too limited, but I'm finding them to be okay.
Starts automatically on high and sets to medium once running.
Right where I currently want it.

Have aprox 900 sq ft basement and brought the temp up to 68F and maintained well on medium.
Wasn't quick, but it got there.
Outside temp was 7-28F, not bad for an inexpensive stove.
If I had bought one of those expensive stoves, I would have expected more, quicker.

Less than a week old and probably early to give it 2 thumbs up.
I did not buy from Costco and paid a few hundred more, but also am not having the problems I read others having.
Somethings I will buy from those 'discount' stores, some things I will not.
I've seen too many 'seconds' being sold thru them...

I'll update if anyone is interested in this stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.