Problem with new low limit switch

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Roadstar

Mar 11, 2011
Puyallup, WA
I have a Breckwell P241 that has a broken auger thermodisc. The plastic disc part came out of it’s metal support. The support is what attaches to the stove. I bought a new limit switch that looks nothing like the original. I had to buy an adapter plate that would allow me to attach the new disc to the old holes in the stove.

I installed the new switch but now when I turn on my power strip that the stove is plugged into, the stove starts up, even if the ON/OFF switch on the stove is turned OFF. I switched the leads to the switch but it didn’t make any difference.

I had this same thing happen with the old broken disc. If the plastic part of the switch was out of the metal support, the stove would start up. If I put the plastic part back into the support the stove would stop any only start when the ON/OFF switch was turned ON.

It doesn’t make any sense to me but hopefully someone knows what’s going on.

I applied a little RTV to the old plastic part and attached it the old support hoping it will keep it in place. So if I can’t find a solution with the new switch I’ll try this modified version of the old switch and see what happens.

Pictures.

Disc 01a.jpg Disc 03a.jpg Disc 04a.jpg Disc 06a.jpg

When you ordered the new low limit, did you check if it was normally open or norm closed? Were the temperature stats the same? The adaptor should work with any snap disc. Unless the temp setting and NO/NC are not the same

Amazon. Low temp snap disc magnet mount. On at 120 and off at 90. I have these on 5 stoves now that work great. I’d post a link but no can do on the phone/app

The plastic is supposed to be there. Without the plastic as an insulator, the disc is likely grounding out through the frame of the stove.

Not sure about the magnet mount, but Ssyko is probably referring to a F120-30, close on rise. Lots of manufacturers make this. Here is one example from Google.

It’s the large snap disc pattern too. No adapter needed.

Just to be sure, are there any numbers on the original switch?

Last edited:
When you ordered the new low limit, did you check if it was normally open or norm closed? Were the temperature stats the same? The adaptor should work with any snap disc. Unless the temp setting and NO/NC are not the same
I’m not sure my problem is the limit switch. I reinstalled my old modified (RTV) limit switch and the stove starts (both blowers running) while the control board ON/OFF switch is OFF and the power strip is switched to ON. The low limit switch I purchased was the aftermarket part for Breckwell, $14.99, the OEM is $34.99. I have no idea if this switch is normally open or closed. I have two control boards. I switched them out and the stove acts the same so I don’t believe I have a control board problem. At this point I’m as a loss to explain what’s going on.

It works! I don’t believe it. When I first took out, unscrewed, the limit switch I decided to apply some Aluminum Anti-Seize Lubricant to the two screw holes. Although they unscrewed pretty easily I figured what could it hurt. It got somewhat messy, not too much. Not knowing what to do after all my efforts I decided to wipe all the anti-seize off with 70% alcohol. I wiped it off the stove, the new adapter plate and the new limit switch. I reattached the new switch with the adapter plate to the stove and attached the leads to the switch. I turned on my power switch and NOTHING. The combustion and convection motors did not start up. I then turned the ON/OFF switch on the control board to ON and BOOM, the motors turned on. I find it hard to believe the anti-seize lubricant was the problem Whatever it was I’m content now.

Thank to all for your input. Greatly appreciated.