Jamestown J1000 feeding pellets before up to temperature.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

SwampLife

Oct 29, 2023
Mojave Desert
I have an older Jamestown J1000. Manual everything including Auger timer and Manual light (ignition).

The low limit switch (proof of fire) switch failed and I replaced it.

It now starts up fine and shuts down.
The issue is now that the Auger is starting up as soon as I switch it on to light a fire (turn on stove).
Normally the Auger timer would need to be turned on until it's up to temperature.

The only thing I can think of is the switch I installed is not functioning correctly. Perhaps it's on before temperature is reached.

Nothing else has changed except I installed a new high limit switch while I was at it.

The wires didn't seem to have a defined polarity. I just put the new switch in and plugged the spade terminals in.
Why is it feeding pellets immediately. Help!

UPDATE: I took one wire off of the low limit switch and it stopped feeding. As soon as I reattached it it starts feeding.

Last edited:
Is your stove auto-light or manual light?

My feeling is that the auger timer does not shut off
It is possible the low temp switch (Proof of fire) is not working
Try unplugging one wire of the switch and see if the auger still comes on or is off

Try unplugging one wire of the switch and see if the auger still comes on or is off
Ok will do. You might be right. It was working before I replaced the low limit switch. The new switch could be faulty as it's the only thing that's changed.

If I unplug the switch and the Auger stops running what does it mean?

Thanks.

I unplugged the low limit switch and it does not feed. As soon as I plug it in it feeds as soon as the stove is on.

Switch?

Is there any writing on the switch? Should be a f100-20 NO (normally open). Where did you get it? With no fire going switch should be open/off and should not close/on until it reaches 100 degrees. If switch is a NC (normally closed) switch it is the wrong switch, or it is a bad switch.

Reactions: johneh
Is there any writing on the switch? Should be a f100-20 NO (normally open). Where did you get it? With no fire going switch should be open/off and should not close/on until it reaches 100 degrees. If switch is a NC (normally closed) switch it is the wrong switch, or it is a bad switch.
Thanks. I'll check it out