Can an Auger stop feeding when a stove gets hot?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

SwampLife

Oct 29, 2023
Mojave Desert
I have an older Jamestown. J1000. When it gets hot or there's a decent flam for a while it stops feeding. The Auger is still running on the manual feed timer when this happens. The only thing I can think of is that the heat is effecting the Auger in some way?

There is a high limit snap switch 250 degrees if it get higher then that it will shut stove down. Also if switch goes bad it can shut down stove at a lower temperature.
That sounds like it could be it. Would it also shut down the manual Auger feed timer?

The stove also starts again and pellets feed up until a certain time or when it gets hotter. Wouldn't the limit switch need to be reset for it to run again?

I think it might be the low-limit switch because the Auger stops after around the same time each time (fans still run). I have read bout 'Proof of fire' but didn't make the link to it being related to a switch. What do you think?

Thank you!

Last edited:
wouldn't the limit switch need to be reset for it to run again?
Most are self resetting usually reset around 10 degrees lower then the number. ie 250 resets at 240. If it is a manual reset switch should be a red button in middle of the back of the switch.

Would it also shut down the manual Auger feed timer?
Yes

I think it might be the low-limit switch because the Auger stops after around the same time each time (fans still run). I have read bout 'Proof of fire' but didn't make the link to it being related to a switch. What do you think?
Yes could be if it happens after it has been burning for a while, around 20 minutes. If it is a bad low limit switch you can test by unplugging stove taking the two wires form the low limit switch, connecting them to each other, with jumper wire or paper clip, taping them up, then plug stove in and try running it. Remember unplug stove if you touch the bare wire end to body of stove you will short your board.

Reactions: SwampLife
That sounds like it could be it. Would it also shut down the manual Auger feed timer?
Is it part of the board or a separate part?

I noticed on the. part I found it has a reset switch. Would that help? Thank you!

I found this part:

Most are self resetting usually reset around 10 degrees lower then the number. ie 250 resets at 240. If it is a manual reset switch should be a red button in middle of the back of the switch.

Yes

Yes could be if it happens after it has been burning for a while, around 20 minutes. If it is a bad low limit switch you can test by unplugging stove taking the two wires form the low limit switch, connecting them to each other, with jumper wire or paper clip, taping them up, then plug stove in and try running it. Remember unplug stove if you touch the bare wire end to body of stove you will short your board.

Thanks.
Jamestown gave me an interesting tip to test the vacuum. Pull the hos off and suck on it and there should be a click if it's functioning. Thanks for your concise answer and the video you've giving me lots to go on with. I feel with these options I should be able to solve the problem :)

Reactions: ARC

Yes

It's weird because I can't see a reset button. Please see the images. Thank you

PXL_20231121_175521513~3.jpg PXL_20231121_175526358~3.jpg

The result. The low-limit snap switch (proof of fire) was faulty. I jumpered the switch and it has been running all morning!

Working_stove.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: ARC
ceramic snap discs are what is used on my low-limit switch
Enviro stove

Reactions: SwampLife