Fire Resistant insulation video

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

infinitymike

Minister of Fire
Aug 23, 2011
Long Island, NY
I used this product to insulate my house and the boiler room I am building for my Wood Gun.

Its a great product, easy to cut and work with and best of all its not ITCHY.

Its comparable in cost to fiberglass insulation.

Thought I'd share with you guys.

http://www.roxul.com/residential/residential+videos

That sounds like pretty neat stuff. After watching the portion about the flame hitting the insulation without the other side getting warm, I had a crazy idea. I wonder if you could construct a quick & dirty Rocket Stove out of that stuff. Maybe several thin layers stacked, cutting them as needed to construct the fuel feed and burn tube.
Where do you typically buy it?

An acronym for "break out another thousand" is "boat". This stuff sounds so good I wonder what will have to be "broken out" to refit the home of the average home owner? I did notice that there were handling safety precautions being used like when you use fiber-glass and since it is mineral like in that it is basaltic rock and slag I also wonder if there are some serious studies that should be implemented so we as consumers do not end up with another "asbestos" on our hands. Moisture and mold are not the only health risks out there. Environmentally and public health wise though I wonder why the growing ever more pervasive gvt isn't lauding increased tax incentives for new homes or used homes fitted with the Roxul style insulations? Or more effectively I wonder why/if insurance co's aren't infuencing legislative trends in that direction. Thanks for sharing i'mike.

[quote author="spirilis" date="1319945636"
Where do you typically buy it?[/quote]

Lowes has it here.

Cave,

I here ya. Whats good for us today tends to be bad for us tomorrow.
Even with years of case studies saying its good for us, they eventually find something wrong.
Anyway, I'm not a scientist, so lets hope I'm not dead before I can get my boiler hooked up :bug:

I bought it from a lumber/building supplier I deal with.
For a bag of R15 3.5"x47" 60sf 12 batts per bag I paid $35
For a bag of R23 5.5"x47" 40sf 8 batts per bag I paid the same.

I am slowly replacing the vinyl siding so I am pulling off the the old T&G planking and insulating the walls (which btw have NO insulation in them).
I have plaster walls so I am definitely not dealing with that mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.