Fire Therapy

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

roberth42

May 12, 2010
Tres-St-Redempteur, Quebec
Does anyone else find that watching the flames extremely soothing.
I'm new to burning and find that I just like sitting back and enjoying the fire and it completely relaxes me from the day to day stress and prepares me for a good night sleep.

I have a feeling that I'm going to be addicted to burning!!!!

Yes Definitely!!!!

I wish my wood furnace had a glass in it. But I have bonfires all year and I can sit out and watch them all nite.

Billy

Yup ...watching flames dance around and over splits can be real relaxing.

Yup, fireplace in the winter and a waterfall in the summer. I can watch for hours.

I find a lot about working with wood to be relaxing. I find the repetitive motion of splitting and stacking to be a nice way to relax, let the mind wander a bit and have some deep thoughts such as the meaning of life and what I want to make for dinner.

When I'm a bit stressed I find it useful to not take out the splitter, but haul out the ol' ax and whack a bunch of wood for a bit . . . therapeutic and useful at the same time . . . and it costs a lot less than going to the therapist . . . well except for when I go see Lucy . . . only costs me 5 cents for her advice.

The final reward is in the burning . . . the smell of potpourri simmering on the stove top or the sweet smell of the smoke when you go outside on a crisp fall or brisk winter day to get another load of wood . . . the sound of the snapping and crackling of the wood on fire . . . the all-encompassing heat that envelopes you like wrapping a warm comforter or quilt around you . . . and of course the visual display -- whether it be a stove free burning at the start up or seeing a stove with the secondaries engaged and it looks like a portal to Hell has just opened up in your stove. I cannot tell you the number of times at night when I just turn off the TV and watch the fire for awhile before heading to bed.

I was just talking about this topic with a friend the other day. Its makes me think of simpler times. Sitting in front of stove for the night definitely takes the edge off............

I mourn the loss of the btu's :lol:

Hell yea, I look forward to sitting on my cinderblock in the basement looking through the glass as my fire grows, it becomes mesmerizing. Although it can also kill a bit of time when I really need to get ready for work in the morning and I need to break free from its charms.

I was thinking the same thing a few days ago.
So nice in the world of cell phones, ipads, computers, blue ray, wide screens, Blackberries, iPods, the simple pleasures of the smell, look and feel of a fire isn’t lost .

Everyone is mesmerized by fire. It's sort of like watching a fish tank in some ways... except on fire. A fish tank full of fire... hmmm...

We went camping with friends who brought their daughters- aged 1 1/2 and 3 ish at the time- they had never been to a campfire, and they were both completely enthralled. That made me think there's something genetic at play.

Fire... oh yes there is something special about it. I'm looking forward to burning again. I'm happy enough to not HAVE to be burning mind you - I do rather like the extra 15 minutes of sleep each morning and I don't look forward to having to haul wood up the deck once there is ice on the steps, but the fire is something I look forward to. My 6yo was telling me yesterday how much she is looking forward to coming in from playing in the snow, having a cup of hot chocolate and sitting in front of the fire.

Watching a fire is enjoyable by most folks.

Have you ever noticed though when it is cold and there is a fire outside, men usually back up to the fire while women face it?

Oh yeah! Fire is good. I put my old stove outside so that we can be around fire year 'round. The whole process, cutting splitting, even stacking and hauling helps to keep me on an even keel as the rest of life has its way with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.