Fire trucks with lights blazing!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

albertj03

Minister of Fire
Oct 16, 2009
Southern Maine
I was sitting on my couch trying not to fall asleep at about 10:00 PM when all of the sudden I noticed flashing red lights out infront of my house. I looked again and this time realized there was a fire truck in my driveway with it's lights blazing and about 4 more of them out on the road. My first thought was that my chimney could be on fire and one of the neighbors called the fire department. Once I got my heart out of my throat and calmed my wife down I ran down to the basement and to my relief everything was perfectly normal. The stove was actually down to a nice bed of coals and ready for a reload.

I went outside and all but two of the trucks were hauling ass up the road across the street. When I walked up to a couple of the firemen who were out of their trucks one of them joked and said "I bet that got you out of bed real quick." He said there was a possible chimney fire up the road. I turned on my scanner and all I could make out was something about a fire in the wall and that they had put it out.

That was as close to any kind of a house fire or heart attack that I ever want to get right there!

PHEW!!! Hope everyone down the road was OK and glad you were!

Thanks! Looks like everyone was ok up there and from what I heard the damage wasn't too bad. Still no confirmation on what the cause of the fire was though.

Have had that happen on a couple of occasions. The house down the street from us caters to special needs kids and seems to have more than their share of emergency calls. Seems like they always send a firetruck then an ambulance. So I hear the firetruck coming...closer....closer...in the neighborhood...down the street....stopping nearly in front of my house.. YIKES!! OK, fire is normal, no smoke from the house, etc. Then I see them get out and head a couple houses down. Relief for me and hope nothing too serious for them.

One good thing Albert is that now you know for sure that your heart is in good condition.

Went to a chimney fire that had gotten into the eaves and attic. People were snuggled up on the couch watching tv and didn't have a clue. Nice of somebody driving by to call it in. Been nicer if they stopped to bang on the door to say "dude yer house is on fire"

Confirmed - it was a chimney fire up the road last night that had the fire department out here. I asked what kind of stove it was (air tight, smoke dragon, etc) but the person who I spoke with didn't know.

Albert glad your hearts ok, go change your underwear!

Zap

jeff_t said:
Nice of somebody driving by to call it in. Been nicer if they stopped to bang on the door to say "dude yer house is on fire"

We are out of sight of the road. Plus figure at least 20 more minutes for the fire department, if they get out.

Ken

Ah, 'tis the season . . . the busy season for us firefighters. January-February tends to be the busiest months of the year.

I hope those old stoves (or at least the ones not being run properly) go the way of the dinosaur. I like the antiques stoves that people burn- if they don't neglect them and get chim fires.

Jeft- nice Stone brewing avatar. I loves me some Arrogant Bastard.

Status
Not open for further replies.