Fire xtrordinair large flush

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Libbynuke

Dec 6, 2014
Salem, ct
I recently purchased the large flush hybrid. I really like the insert but can't seem to get it to really crank out the heat and it doesn't burn for a long time. Could this be the wood or is it a problem with the unit. The wood I am burning is about 20-25% moisture.

Sorry to say this.. but welcome to the club. I've tried to warn people in my posts, but this insert really does not perform well. You have the hybrid, so it should be a better better than my older non-hybrid, but the fact is the flush insert, combined with what I believe is poor internal flow dynamics means this unit really struggles to put out heat or get descent burn times.

I looked into a bunch of different inserts. I went to a stove store and looked at a bunch. The store I went to actually had them operating and this one seemed to be putting out the most heat. I then did some research on my own and thought this was a good one to go with. Maybe it's just the wood??

It's too bad, because chicks dig it. >>
Maybe it's just the wood??
If your wood is 20%+ on a freshly-split piece, you might do a bit better with drier wood (assuming your setup is good.) Not a lot better though, from what I've been reading. I've taken a few hits on stove stuff myself, and so have others, so at least you're not alone. :(

I looked into a bunch of different inserts. I went to a stove store and looked at a bunch. The store I went to actually had them operating and this one seemed to be putting out the most heat. I then did some research on my own and thought this was a good one to go with. Maybe it's just the wood??

I'm sure the stove CAN put out good heat, with dry wood. I know mine can, but it takes a long time to get up to good temps, like 1 hour +, and you'll have a good peak temp for a couple hours at best.

Lots of possibilities that could cause the insert to perform unsatisfactorily:

What's your installation: Do you have a full liner? A block-off plate? Is the fireplace at an exterior wall? Is there insulation around it? How full do you load the insert? How do you measure temps? Do you have a cat probe? Do you measure the wood moisture by splitting a few pieces in half and pressing the pins in the fresh surface? How do you adjust the air setting? What's its final position? How long does it take until you engage the cat?

Status
Not open for further replies.