Fireback crack on Resolute 3, replacement procedure advice?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Porscha356

Jan 21, 2023
Northern california
New to the forum.
I have a Resolute 3 bought in 1985. Never had a problem until the fireback cracked, maybe last year, didn’t notice it until this year when I cleaned the flue In November.
Anyone out there in firewood land have a slick way to replace the part? I’ve been cruising the internet but have not found a complete description of the process. As simple as you can make it, if you keep in mind the “old dogs and new tricks” adage.
Thanks in advance for your time.

Thank you daksy for the reply.
Just a bit more info please. Can this be done while the stove is in situ, with the flue installed, through the griddle top or split doors? Or, Is it best to move it outside because of the mess, then remove the flue collar / damper for access? Any other tips would be helpful…… I don’t like to break things because of ignorance that could be avoided by using sage advice from someone who’s been there.
Thanks,
Bob

New to the forum.
I have a Resolute 3 bought in 1985. Never had a problem until the fireback cracked, maybe last year, didn’t notice it until this year when I cleaned the flue In November.
Anyone out there in firewood land have a slick way to replace the part? I’ve been cruising the internet but have not found a complete description of the process. As simple as you can make it, if you keep in mind the “old dogs and new tricks” adage.
Thanks in advance for your time.
How much does the replacement fireback cost? When this happened to my Resolute, I just kept my eye on Craigslist and bought another one in excellent condition for $500. This was probably about 10 yrs ago.

Thank you daksy for the reply.
Just a bit more info please. Can this be done while the stove is in situ, with the flue installed, through the griddle top or split doors? Or, Is it best to move it outside because of the mess, then remove the flue collar / damper for access? Any other tips would be helpful…… I don’t like to break things because of ignorance that could be avoided by using sage advice from someone who’s been there.
Thanks,
Bob
You can do it in situ if you can work on your knees or belly.
It is messy, & drop cloths & an ashvac are necessities.
If you pull the stove, you'll probably need those tools, too,
but you can put it on a sturdy workbench & work at eye level.
Your call.
Get a helper for the lift...

Reactions: clancey
Hey Bob,
Nice name by the way. I had already found parts availability before I asked anyone for advice on a repair rather than chasing the goose down a long road.
Looks like a journey to my shop for the stove when the weather gets warmer. I’ll open it up and hopefully not be too surprised. I really don’t want a full rebuild project on my ”to many to do” list.
Thanks for the information.
Regards,
Bob

Reactions: DAKSY