Fireback repair and other interesting stuff

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snowy Rivers

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 7, 2010
NW Oregon
Just cleaned the Prodigy tonight (on the fly and needed the pliers to hang onto the burn pot)

Took a picture of the repaired fire back (brick)
In the piccy you can see the missing grooves in the brick look.
I marked the sides and the top with the arrow.

Used good old furnace and refractory cement.

Clean the fireback good and then trowel the stuff on in layers and build the worn fireback up to original thickness.

The other picture shows the "Scatter Nub" as I call it that I machined and installed with a countersunk 10-32 machine screw.

Tyhe "Nub" is positioned right in the direct path of the "Nut shells" as they slide down thefeed chute.

The Nub scatters the stuff over the grate more and stops it from piling up in the center.

I built something similar for the Advantage II T but it is a bar that spans the entire fire grate but does the same manuever.

The nut shells tend to be more granular from the current supplier and have to be scattered around to work best.

The ideal size is pieces about the size of your little finger nail. They feed great. The stove does on occasion make a lovely KAAAAARUNCH as the stuff goes between the auger flights and the tube end leaving the hopper.

Once the initial shock passes, you get used to it.

The little Prodigy just loves the shells.

We have been doing almost all the heating duty of late with this stove.
2300 SQ FT
Couple nights recently the Quad came on and helped out in the weeee hours of the morning but only ran a short time.

Hope this is interesting..

Snowy

Attachments

• Fireback repair.jpg
    Fireback repair.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 257
  • scatter nub.jpg
    scatter nub.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 229
Status
Not open for further replies.