Firebox repair

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Kpw

Oct 25, 2017
New jersey
Hi. I'm new to this forum and a DiY.

I have cracks/rot in the corners of the steel Firebox where the damper is.

I'm second owner and there is currently gas logs in the fireplace. The previous owners converted it.

The main damper was remived amd there is a damoer at the top on a cable. I'd like to remove the gas and go back to wood. Looking closely, the firbox is steel.and is solid. The only damage I see is in the corners where the main damper was removed. (At the front of the smoke shelf) The corners are rotted and there are holes.

Is this repairable? Or do I need to redo the entire Firebox with a new steel insert. I don't see how any type of adhesive based product would ever stick or hold up. What do I do? Any help.is appreciated
20171025_112837.jpg 20171025_112846.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Chances are the smoke shelf is rusted out also. Which leaves you with the options of cutting out the metal box and rebuilding with a masonry firebox. Or you could go with an insert and liner. The benefit of an insert is that you will get useable heat from that unlike an open fireplace

Chances are the smoke shelf is rusted out also. Which leaves you with the options of cutting out the metal box and rebuilding with a masonry firebox. Or you could go with an insert and liner. The benefit of an insert is that you will get useable heat from that unlike an open fireplace

Isnt there any way to repair this? Also, If I did an insert, would I be installing a liner to the top or just "stubbing" the liner up into the chimney?

Isnt there any way to repair this?
Usually not but I am not there to see it so I cant really tell for sure.

Also, If I did an insert, would I be installing a liner to the top or just "stubbing" the liner up into the chimney?
You would want to go all the way up with it.

Usually not but I am not there to see it so I cant really tell for sure.

You would want to go all the way up with it.
Thanks for taking the time to answer. I may lean towards an insert and liner.i haven't looked at the installation for an insert yet, but, If i did this, I'd assume that I would becutting out the smoke shelf?

Thanks for taking the time to answer. I may lean towards an insert and liner.i haven't looked at the installation for an insert yet, but, If i did this, I'd assume that I would becutting out the smoke shelf?
Yes