Firebrick layout- BKK

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beetle-Kill

Minister of Fire
Sep 8, 2009
Colorado- near the Divide
I finally yanked out the Timberline, and have the BKK in place. While installing the firebrick (based off of the chart layout), I'm ending up with gaps- 1/4" to almost 1/2" on the sides. I've already re-cut one brick, and think I need to re-cut at least 2 more to tighten things up. Do I need to accomadate the cuts for expansion/contraction? Thanks, JB

Have a rager going in my stove right now otherwise I'd check. Maybe head over to the stove shop on Monday and compare your setup to a new stove?

A half inch seems like a lot, mine go in pretty snug. Probably 1/4 inch tops in a couple spots. Did you get the 2 layers right? My guess is that with 2 layers of brick and ash in the bottom of the stove, it probably doesn't matter. I only see the brick for a very brief period once every two to three weeks.

I have a gap in spots also. I just adjusted the bottom and top layers of brick so the gaps were not in the same place. After a few fires the ash fills in the gaps and acts as insulation.

The largest gaps are on the sides. I had one broken brick in the back which I replaced with a new brick. I'm recutting 2 more on either side at the front. I don't know about the double layer bottom, haven't got to them yet. I don't know if this is a factory condition 'cause when I got the stove home, my nephew yanked all the brick out before I got a chance to look inside. I've got a spare case of brick, and the tile saw cuts 'em like butter, so no worries.

Quick update, then this can die out. I re-cut some new brick on the front/sides, added about 1/2" and made it tighter but not too tight. The bottom layer I re-cut some, including a few 7/16" slabs for gap filling. The 2nd. bottom layer I also re-cut some, so the end result is nothing greater than a 1/8" gap anywhere. I don't know if this is the norm for this stove, but I feel much better knowing I have minimal clearance between the bricks now. Ash will fill the remaining spaces with no problems. I'm chalking up the excessive gaps to a hungover brick-cutter, not a big deal for me.

Since the stove have 2 layers of bricks and ash quickly fills the gaps, I'd say is of no concern. Once you get burning with this stove, you'll soon have a decent bed of ashes anyway. In fact, I'm amazed how cool the bottom of my BKK stays during operation.

Status
Not open for further replies.