Firebrick replacement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

timfromohio

Minister of Fire
Aug 20, 2007
Hi everyone.

The question posted about cracked firebrick got me to thinking about the firebrick in my PE Pacific insert - used for five seasons, so it's obvious that some of the bricks look as though they have seen better days (we burn it every day in the winter and live in NEOhio).

There is a place near me that sells refractory brick in all sorts of sizes very cheap. My assumption is that firebrick is firebrick - any reason to think otherwise? Should I order an entire "official" replacement kit of bricks or do you guys think I'd be OK just matching up sizes and moving out.

Thanks for any input.

PE uses a pumice brick rather than a ceramic firebrick. Supposedly it retains more heat in the firebox. But the things are a hell of a lot more expensive than ceramic firebricks from your local brickyard.

Personally I think the things just reduce shipping weight and go to pieces faster than ceramic bricks. But what do I know?

Not to hi jack the thread, but what is the best way to cut these. I have to fit some around the ash dump on the inside of my Regency. Seems like a PITA to cut them down to size. Any ideas? thanks

I would try a wet tile saw with a diamond blade. It should cut through it no problem without much dust.

I like the Rutland replacement firebrick splits. Rugged. But then, neither of my stoves require or specify any special firebrick. Cutting...masonry blade on a 10" miter saw (cut-off saw). Easy peasy...do it outdoors and wear a dust mask. Rick

fossil said:
I like the Rutland replacement firebrick splits. Rugged. But then, neither of my stoves require or specify any special firebrick. Cutting...masonry blade on a 10" miter saw (cut-off saw). Easy peasy...do it outdoors and wear a dust mask. Rick

AND SAFETY GLASSES!

The pumice brick can easily be cut with a bandsaw, no so the ceramic.

PAJerry said:
The pumice brick can easily be cut with a bandsaw, no so the ceramic.

Yeah, the pumice brick is relatively soft. Could probably just use a drywall saw and cut it by hand. Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.