Replacement Firebricks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Caw

Minister of Fire
May 26, 2020
Massachusetts
Today I noticed a crack on one of my firebricks. Are these manufacturer specific or can I just cut a regular one from the store to size? It's a 2019 Osburn 1600 insert. I figured I'd see what you guys thought before calling the dealer or SBI for a new one. It's the bottom, front left. Unsure how long it's been there, I don't think it's having any adverse effects it's just eventually going to fall out and I want a replacement handy.

1000000995.jpg

Not sure, but I think the Osburn may use pumice bricks. Is this a back brick? Instead or buying a new one, just swap it with a floor brick of the same size. The crack is not going to matter much with a floor brick.

Good idea. Next warm day I'll give it a thorough clean out and see if any are the same size.

Front left brick on the bottom.

Hmmm. Brick 7 is broken. It is the same dimensions as brick 1 on the floor but it says "minus 1x1" corner". I'm guessing it's notched? It doesn't look notched in the diagram. Interesting...

1000000999.png

It will need to be cut or ground down. This is easy with pumice brick. I keep a spare pack on hand. US Stove sells them in a six-pack. Or just swap it with a bottom brick and fill in that 1x1 corner with ash.

Further research indicates they are indeed different. Part #34 on the Osburn parts site whereas the floor bricks are #35.

1000001000.png1000001001.png

It will need to be cut or ground down. This is easy with pumice brick. I keep a spare pack on hand. US Stove sells them in a six-pack. Or just swap it with a bottom brick and fill in that 1x1 corner with ash.

1000001003.png

These?

$34 for six sure beats $42 for one from SBI.

Yup. That's what our stove takes. Verify that your stove has pumice firebrick first. I am going from memory for Osburns and that can be sketchy at times.

Yup. That's what our stove takes. Verify that your stove has pumice firebrick first. I am going from memory for Osburns and that can be sketchy at times.

It's not mentioned in the manual. Should I just call SBI tomorrow? Their customer service is solid.

Yes, that would be good. I just found a couple websites saying it's pumice so I'm pretty sure they are but no harm in checking.

I guess I didn't realize there were different types. It's always a good day to learn something. Are there other common types or mostly pumice?

I have a giant box of firebricks I use for my maple syrup evaporator in the spring but they are a different size and kept outside.

Yes, a lot of stoves use common firebrick half-bricks that can be bought at home depot, lumber stores, hardware stores, masonry supplies, etc. Pumice is a better insulator than these bricks and more expensive. They help reduce clearances while keeping a hotter fire for quicker clean burning.

Begreen you said your PE uses a Pumice brick. Does the a vista and all PE use that brick as well? My manual shows different size cuts.

Osburn uses refractory,not pumice,

Begreen you said your PE uses a Pumice brick. Does the a vista and all PE use that brick as well? My manual shows different size cuts.
I think all PE stoves use pumice firebrick. Yes, different stoves will have some cut bricks.

I wonder if refractory is their verbiage for pumice. It definitely does say refractory on their website I picture above. We'll find out soon!

Refractory just means capable of resisting high temperature. There are many different grades of refractory firebrick.

This is interesting, even though I don’t have a dog in this one. I think of refractory as a man made thing and pumice as natural, but who’s to say that pumice that has been crushed and formed isn’t a man made product at that point?

I'm positive that Quadrafire, PE, and some EarthStoves take pumice firebrick, but willing to be proven wrong on the SBI stoves if SBI says no. Some sellers say they're pumice and others say they are refractory. Osburns do use refractory cement in some stoves like for their c-cast baffles.

I'm on my 2nd osburn in 3 years and the bricks in a 2300 and 3300 are high density firebrick,not pumice in both stoves

20240105_120704.jpg

Part #ac03020b "high density" bricks. They do look like pumice. I haven't had time to call and ask them yet. This seems to be the proper part though.

@marty319 @begreen just got off the phone with SBI. The part I liked above is the correct brick for the stove. I asked what "refractory brick" meant to them since that's the terminology they used and he said it was a lightweight brick compared to usual ones. So basically it's pumice brick. Sure looks like pumice in the pictures too. He also said either a standard brick would work also work but they use the light weight ones.

So I'm just going to buy a 6 pack of standard sized pumice bricks. I have a masonry bit on my angle grinder I can just notch out the corner to make a perfect replacement and then have backups. Hopefully they arrive in tact.

Case closed!

Last edited:
Reactions: begreen
Thanks for the follow up. Looks like SBI uses both depending on the stove model.

Note that the crack shown is minor. I wouldn't replace it until the end of the season unless it got much worse.

Thanks for the follow up. Looks like SBI uses both depending on the stove model.

Note that the crack shown is minor. I wouldn't replace it until the end of the season unless it got much worse.
Yeah I'm not going to go looking for trouble. Good chance it makes it the rest of the season. I just want to have the correct replacement on hand in case it falls out at a bad time.