Firebrick size......... PIZZA?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

babalu87

Nov 23, 2005
middleborough, ma.
Do they make firebrick 12" X 12" ?

The Morso has front "andirons" that keep the logs off the glass and in order to get a raw pie off the pizza piel and into the stove the drop is over 3" down to where a pizza stone would sit on a bed of coals, I can smell the burning crust and cheese thinking about trying to maneuver a pizza in and down 3"

I was going to make up a stand of sorts to put a stone on top of in the stove but decided that after cooking a few pizzas having to deal with a HOT pizza stone and a HOT steel stand wasnt the best idea considering we all know what beverage goes best with pizza ;)

Rumford lists it on their website and have a 12 X 12 X 3" pieces............. but nobody locally knows what I am talking about :(

How would soapstone be as a pizza stone?

Just get some 12x12 unglazed quarry tiles and a couple full size firebricks. Get your coal bed going, bury the full size bricks in coal bed and arrange the coals until they are flush with the bricks. Then put the quarry tile on top of the bricks and close the door to get it hot. You should be in business. The firebrick will about 2.5 inches thick and the quarry tile will be about 1/2 inch to make up for your three inches.

They're pretty cheap so you wouldn't be out too much money if you needed to replace them and you could probably get everything at a local masonry supplier for less than $10-15 bucks.

Get your self a pizza stone so that you can make large pizzas too! Then all you need is to throw a couple of firebricks in there, like others said, and then slide the pizze stone on top. Let the stone come up to temp and then slide the pizza on.

I was just thinking about this for the fireplace and working on getting a pizza stone for free...

We have a 16" Pizza stone, its a bit too big for the stove.
A 14" would fit perfect

I like the idea of paying a few bucks for a quarry tile, now if I could find someone that doesnt want to sell me a whole box!

This is becoming and exercise in futility!

Bought a pizza stone
First two pizzas were great
PIZZA STONE BROKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Next four pizzas cooked on an aluminum pizza pan were great

Learning curve for sure as far as coal bed etc and it looks like we'll order a box of quarry tiles too boot

You need to preheat the stone before you put in on the coals. Either in the oven or on top of the stove on a trivet. works for me havent broke one yet

It was pre-heated, I think we had a crap stone.
It cooked two pizzas perfectly then broke when I tried to wipe away burnt corn meal with a gloved hand. Maybe too much was hanging off the edge of the firebricks?
We'll exchange it at Target and see what happens but I think I'll just buy a box of quarry tiles, I cant buy just one or three locally they want me to buy a box of 10/12!

A friend wants tow for camping so its worth buying a box.

Status
Not open for further replies.