Firelight DV horizontal vent question ....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Terra Gherkin

Jan 18, 2011
SE MI
Hi folks ... hoping someone is able to assist a newbie with a potentially embarassing question. I just purchased a used Jotul Firelight DV (1998 model) and am prepping my walkout basement for installation. Rather than installing in a corner, I built a diagonal wall to pull the stove out of the corner. The vent on this stove comes directly out of the rear and I would like to put a straight 12" pipe straight out of the stove and through the wall before routing the vent 90 degree up (wife doesn't want to see the pipe at all so want to run the vertical section behind the wall). I planned to vent up about 5 ft and then another 90 elbow to a 36" vent out the wall. To the point, I would like to know if it is ok to use the 12" horizontal directly off the stove. As mentioned, I will have 5 ft of vertical vent but just not immediately off the stove. So... stove... 12" horiz run.... 90 elbow... vert 5 ft .... 90 elbow .... 3 ft horiz to wall termination. Thanks much for any assistance you can provide !!

The max horizontal straight off the back of the 600 DV is 14" so you are fine there. What concerns me is two 90s in the run. I have to leave that to the gas stove experts.

Send an email to brotherbart at verizon.net and I will send you a PDF copy of the Jotul manual for that model GF600 DV that shows the approved piping configurations for it.

Guys - thanks for the manual references. I see that I can pull up to a 14" straight pipe directly off the stove but that is out of the manual for the GF600 DVII. My old "DV" manual (which I actually have) shows no such option. Have the stoves changed dramatically since 1998? According to some of the dealers I've spoken to, all DV's are basically the same but I finally found a dealer who dug into it with a Jotul tech rep and found that the LP-to-NG conversion kits (which I also need) are not interchangeable between the newer "GF600 DVII" and the plain old "DV". Hence my concern that the venting requirements may also be unique for each unit. Hoping the 2 90's will not be a problem because I need to go straight back through the wall and then up and out (without much space). Anyway .... thanking you again for your responses.

The link he gave you ain't for the DVII. The DVII has the flat plat "Jotul burner". Which is why the gas valve and LP kit are different.

If you have the manual for your stove, then the approved venting in that manual are just that. The approved venting.

Status
Not open for further replies.