Firelight?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slow burn

Sep 2, 2016
New Hampshire
This stove was in the basement of the house I just bought. It was stuck in the corner, when I looked inside it's pretty rough. I have no experience with catalyst stoves. Would it be worth having built? It cost me nothing. Is a rebuilt stove as good as new? What would a rebuild go for? Looks like it was fairly expensive stove when first purchased. Thanks for any opinions!

The entire stove may not need rebuilt. A new cat, and cast iron cover for sure. Possibly a cat housing. Probably $500 or so from what I see. I'd fix it and use it, no doubt!

Careful, there are some parts of that stove that are no longer made/imported. Having worked on a few of these I can say that the catalyst and refractory together will be more that $500.00, and the iron parts all come from Norway too remember, so mnot cheap. Even so, if you had $1000.00-$1200.00 into it, it still may be a good investment IF it suits your needs. Remember there'll be ongoing maintenance with a catalytic stove that most new ones don't need. AND a new one has a warranty!

Just an aside, I absolutely LOVE the top loading Firelights!!!

The only parts that I've ran into that weren't available was the linkage for the top lid. Enamel castings aren't available either. I'd pass on it anyway if it needed any castings replaced.

As a minimum looks like the sec chamber, catalyst, innerback plate and rear burn plate needs replacing.... thats about 800 dollars in parts. There are still a lot of those stoves out there (amazing number actually), but their parts support is starting to wain from Jotul. The Firelight cat still has a lot of allegiance though from its owners..... Is it worth rebuilding? Probably with the cost of a new Firelight at about 2989 MSRP in Matte black (about 3599 for an enamel finish), although the new version is a bigger heater, its a side loader and front loader having the secondary burn tube system in the top now.
It probably does not need a total breakdown/rebuild, a time consuming task.....

Last edited:
Hmm... A lot to think about here. I also like the top loading feature. I'm a fairly handy person however I also know that if I start taking it apart and mess something up it may cost more to fix. Is there any repair people near southern New Hampshire?

I was originally just trying to give it a way to get rid of it but I haven't found anybody willing to take on the task.

A lot of chimney guys/installers will take on the task, but around May-June, not now so much because they are out trying to earn a living...

Clean it up to make it look presentable, then inspect for any hairline cracks. If ok, later this month or in October the stove should sell for about $3-400, as is.

Yeah it is getting to be that time of year. I'm in no rush because the stove I'm going to use this year is in place ready to go. If there is anybody that is interested I taking on the restoration please contact me. I'm in south central nh but would be willing to travel if the situation is right

Thank you defiant3.

I don't really feel comfortable selling the burned out stove to someone on Craigslist

I guess it will sit it my basement until I get some extra cash. And some strong friends, it was a bear to get Down the bulked when I helped dad get it down there.

The one thing I really wanted in the new house was a walkin basement. But sacrifices were made. Me and those steep cement stairs are going to be good friends

Status
Not open for further replies.