firepit filets........

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

ScotO

Wifey bought some local filet mignon this afternoon, yeah it was a Wednesday, but what he heck!
Hump Day is as good a day as any to have oak smoked steak!!

Put some green, fresh-split oak slivers under the meat....

2013-06-19_19-11-23_709.jpg

Cooked 'em low -n- slow, and really laid the smoke to them...

2013-06-19_19-20-29_15.jpg 2013-06-19_19-13-35_380.jpg

Ready to eat! The flavor was tart (used a mix of red and white oak, with a sliver of applewood), which fit the cut of meat perfectly......

2013-06-19_19-27-44_303.jpg

Making steaks over wood tomorrow night. Probably use some apple and oak. Maybe some hickory.

I like to cook my steaks over the hottest fire I can get. I like a little crisp on the outside and still mooing in the middle.

Reactions: ScotO
Making steaks over wood tomorrow night. Probably use some apple and oak. Maybe some hickory.

I like to cook my steaks over the hottest fire I can get. I like a little crisp on the outside and still mooing in the middle.
I usually do the crisp thing on the outside, too. But I wanted to really get the smoke to flavor the meat.......so I tried the low and slow on these steaks.

They were still pink and juicy on the inside, and had a nice, tart smoke flavor, they were really good! Now a strip, Delmonico or ribeye, I'd crisp it quick....

Man - those look pretty tasty. I aim for a light char on the outside, but cooked just long enough to quit twitching.==c

UMMM GOOD.........

Still pretty torn on what to make tonight. It's down to ribeyes or strips. Or something else that I haven't thought of that sounds good.

Still pretty torn on what to make tonight. It's down to ribeyes or strips. Or something else that I haven't thought of that sounds good.
I'm going to see if the boss wants to do wings on the pit tomorrow night.
We'll also throw a couple burgers on for the kids.

I have been hungry for some nice thick pork chops.

We're in the same state if you need any help cooking.... ;) Looks mighty good there Scotty!

Status
Not open for further replies.