Fireplace about done.... Will it draft?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Awshin

Oct 14, 2019
Montgomery
So, I posted on here about two years ago with fireplace plans. My design is ultimately much simpler than I had planned.

Here is the near finished product.

6'x4'
Marble hearth
Gas assist
2 24" square flues
Two 6" air intakes running from outside the house.
Of course, I'm worried it won't draft. My house is completely insulated with closed cell foam.

Fireplace about done.... Will it draft?

So, I posted on here about two years ago with fireplace plans. My design is ultimately much simpler than I had planned.

Here is the near finished product.

6'x4'
Marble hearth
Gas assist
2 24" square flues
Two 6" air intakes running from outside the house.
Of course, I'm worried it won't draft. My house is completely insulated with closed cell foam.

View attachment 279819
What is the overall volume of open space of the faces? Also how is that ridge beam that ends at the chimney supported? It doesn't look like you have the required 2" clearance to combustibles there.

Last edited:
What is the overall volume of open space of the faces? Also how is that ridge beam that ends at the chimney supported? It doesn't look like you have the required 2" clearance to combustibles there.

Opening is 24 square feet on each side. Volume? Maybe 4 feet deep.
There is a laminate beam goes all the way through, but the 2 - 24 inch pipes are insulated and about foot from the beam.

Opening is 24 square feet on each side. Volume? Maybe 4 feet deep.
There is a laminate beam goes all the way through, but the 2 - 24 inch pipes are insulated and about foot from the beam.
Ok they are insulated chimney pipes? That makes things different. When you said 24" square I assumed they were clay tile flues.

As far as drafting it will depend upon the height of the damper the design of the throat the design of the smoke chamber and whether both flues work together as intended or not. In addition I really don't see how 2 6" air supply ducts are going to supply enough combustion air. But purely by the numbers it should have enough volume to draft properly.

They are the clay pipes. They insulated and shielded around the beam.

My fingers are crossed. I will post more once I start burning.

They are the clay pipes. They insulated and shielded around the beam.

My fingers are crossed. I will post more once I start burning.
How are they insulated and shielded???

I don't remember exactly. I just remember them saying they insulated and shielded around the beam.
There is nothing in code allowing that at all it never should have passed inspection. If I was inspecting it for a realestate sale I would have to deem it unsafe to use

Is that ridge beam actually structural, or just for aesthetics? It looks more like the latter than the former to me, in which case it's likely discontinuous and doesn't run in between the two flues at all. That roof framing might just be scissor trusses.

We see faux ridge beams in rooms like that all the time out here.

Last edited:
Am I reading this correctly?

You have a beam in the flue chase that contains 2 clay flues?

That’s unpossible.

Is that ridge beam actually structural, or just for aesthetics? It looks more like the latter than the former to me, in which case it's likely discontinuous and doesn't run in between the two flues at all. That roof framing might just be scissor trusses.

We see faux ridge beams in rooms like that all the time out here.
I know it was a laminate beam all the way across. It was supported until the fireplace was built and then the support was removed.

I know it was a laminate beam all the way across. It was supported until the fireplace was built and then the support was removed.

Well, disregard my idea then. That's something.

Okay, spoke with the engineer. They removed all the wood after it was braced by the block.
That still isn't ok. The chimney needs 2" clearance to combustibles which means that beam cannot be supported by the chimney.

Hmm. Even if there is a sizable gap between the block at the chimney flu e?
Absolutely. There is no way your chimney meets code if it is supporting that beam and is clay lined.

Wow, now that is a fireplace!!

Bit late now, but there are books on fireplace design. My interpretation is that there are design 'rules' and 'equations' for making a well built/functioning fireplace. Flue height, area, throat, smoke shelf, openings, etc should all have relative dimensions, placement, geometry, etc. So really just a matter of picking the size and following the design criteria - so shouldn't be a lot of questions if it will or won't work.

etc...

Conversely, this fireplace seems to be 'off the charts' on size and scale, so who knows! I'd be a little worried you might not be able to make enough heat to keep two "24 inch square" flues drafting strong enough. (I'm taking that to be two 24" x 24" flues = or ~1150 square inches of opening !!!...where some of the larger flues seem to top out at a couple hundred square inches ) ...or that you might heat one and have a downdraft in the other. But I guess the only way to tell now is to stick half a cord of wood in that thing, light it up and see!

Good luck - would certainly be a sight to see that burning on a cool night!

Haha, I built a mile worth of road through hardwoods to get the driveway. All that wood might last me a winter.
Did your engineer bother to check codes for chimney construction before designing this? Are you sure they cut the beam off? How much solid masonry is between that beam and the clay liners? Honestly I wouldn't light it untill all of those questions are answered.

This is what should have been followed in the design and construction of your fireplace.

Did your engineer bother to check codes for chimney construction before designing this? Are you sure they cut the beam off? How much solid masonry is between that beam and the clay liners? Honestly I wouldn't light it untill all of those questions are answered.

This is what should have been followed in the design and construction of your fireplace.
I have no idea. An engineer checked the plans.